5 hp honda no cooling water circulating

BorisMD3

Cadet
Hi all,

Just put the boat in the water, and while the engine started up great, it was soon very hot smelling. A quick check revealed that no water was coming out the water check hole.

I shut the engine down, put up the sails, and sailed around a bit with the cover off the engine to cool it off.

I then sailed over to the slip, dropped the sails, and started the now cool motor. It quickly heated up again -- same problem.

My motor is a Honda 5hp 4 stroke. Vintage ~1989.

Any ideas? It ran fine in the fall, so I doubt there is a plug in the intakes. I'm wondering about an impeller problem, but don't know how to check that. Also, the manual says "faulty thermostat", but I haven't a clue where that is on this engine.

Thanks for any advice.

Boris

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5 hp honda no cooling water circulating

Hi Boris

I would suggest taking a look at the adult section of this fine forum.

A lot of things can cause an outboard engine to over heat.

I have seen salt build up in the thermostat housing, in the pump housing, junk stuck in the inlet,,,,and the worst being a bad power head mounting gasket where exhaust gas being blown into the cooling system.

One thing I try to stress to the sailing instructors that run our 10 safety boats: stop the engine and raise it up, look around to see if a large plastic bag or other object that was being held to the intake ports on the gear case is floating in the water in close proximity.

Not a good idea to remove the thermostat, check it for salt. If you have to, cut the inside part and remove it, Install the restrictor plate to regain the engineered flow

BorisMD3

Cadet
Re: 5 hp honda no cooling water circulating

Turned out to be a bad impeller.

Stopped at the Honda dealer, picked up the impeller kit, and a repair manual and after an afternoon's work, she's running fine again.

Not a bad repair at all.

Regards,

Boris