5.7 Gxi-f outdrive issue

Havasu bound

Cadet
While out on river this last trip, running in about 50’ of water with the current. Running approx 28 mph and about 3000 rpm. Boat just suddenly felt like it went into neutral. Upon further investigation the prop wasn’t turning when put into gear. Of course being this time of year nobody can even look at it until August or so. Can’t imagine we just lost a couple of teeth on a gear in this situation. How can I verify if we lost a tooth or is it possible we lost the clutch. just don’t know where to go next. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Boat was running fine at the time.

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pull the plastic cover of the gearhousing, see if the cable is still attached to the linkage. If it is, is the linkage working. Go from there.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I agree with the above statement on checking the linkage. It would probably help us better if we knew what type of drive you have, so you might give us that. It could be a bad clutch, bad gears or a bad engine coupler.

Havasu bound

Cadet
Thank you for all the input. It definitely is in the lower unit. Turn the prop shaft and the up shaft doesn’t move. The tag on the outdrive is SX-MBAC. But it doesn’t have the ratio listed. Also after looking at exploded views of the outdrive I could not find anything close to a clutch. Any ideas on gear ratio? Any views on repairing it myself or should one just look for a replacement? Thanks

Awesomeame

Cadet
Hey that SX-MBAC is your trans. Your lower unit will be a DP-SM 1.XX number.

Just curious-you turned the prop and said the up shaft isn't moving. What do you mean by the up shaft? Are you talking about the vertical shaft that meets the horizontal shaft where the propellers are located? Or?

Where I would start if you haven't already: If you have the DP-S XXX drive...As was mentioned take the plastic cover off the back of the drive to look at the shift unit. Disconnect the bar from the shift unit, and move the shift unit linkage on the drive up or down all the way and then try to move the prop. If the prop engages (as opposed to free wheel) then you have an adjustment you need to make on your shifting mechanism somewhere. Often the plunger/dog needs adjustment by way of cable or shim. If the prop continues to freewheel with the shift lever up or down all the way then you have a problem with the shift mechanism either not engaging the gears internally for some reason, or you have some other break in the lower drive system. You could then remove the shift unit and look in the hole to see if the upper vertical shaft is turning when you turn the prop. If it's turning then I'd say there is an issue with your shift unit. Not turning and get ready to take apart the lower unit lol.

Stated above from memory long time ago, if incorrect please someone let me know :0

Matt

Last edited:

Havasu bound

Cadet
Hey that SX-MBAC is your trans. Your lower unit will be a DP-SM 1.XX number.

Just curious-you turned the prop and said the up shaft isn't moving. What do you mean by the up shaft? Are you talking about the vertical shaft that meets the horizontal shaft where the propellers are located? Or?

Where I would start if you haven't already: If you have the DP-S XXX drive...As was mentioned take the plastic cover off the back of the drive to look at the shift unit. Disconnect the bar from the shift unit, and move the shift unit linkage on the drive up or down all the way and then try to move the prop. If the prop engages (as opposed to free wheel) then you have an adjustment you need to make on your shifting mechanism somewhere. Often the plunger/dog needs adjustment by way of cable or shim. If the prop continues to freewheel with the shift lever up or down all the way then you have a problem with the shift mechanism either not engaging the gears internally for some reason, or you have some other break in the lower drive system. You could then remove the shift unit and look in the hole to see if the upper vertical shaft is turning when you turn the prop. If it's turning then I'd say there is an issue with your shift unit. Not turning and get ready to take apart the lower unit lol.

Stated above from memory long time ago, if incorrect please someone let me know :0

Matt
Thanks Matt
my outdrive is an SX. The lower unit was pulled off And when you turn the vertical shaft the prop shaft doesn’t turn. This makes getting the ratio rough. Also no tags on the transom or engine give me a ratio.

Havasu bound

Cadet
I agree with the above statement on checking the linkage. It would probably help us better if we knew what type of drive you have, so you might give us that. It could be a bad clutch, bad gears or a bad engine coupler.
thank you,
I have an SX drive hooked up to a 5.7gxi-f. The linkage is hooked up. The boat was moving through the water and just felt like it went into neutral. No spun hub. When they got the boat home had shifter in neutral, prop spun, put it in gear with engine off and prop spun. Pulled lower unit and the vertical shaft turns the prop shaft doesn’t. Gears in lower unit? Couldn’t find a clutch assembly in exploded outdrive schematic

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There are gears in the lower unit but on the Volvo all the shifting is in the upper gear housing like on a Bravo drive. On the Volvo there is usually a metal tag on the drive with the ratio and serial/model number.

this is an SX-M, other SX models are similar you can see there is an upper and lower vertical drive shaft.

Last edited:

Havasu bound

Cadet
Have an SX-M outdrive. Everything was running fine and felt like it went into neutral. No spun hub. In neutral with motor off prop spins. Put it in gear, forward or reverse, motor off prop spins. Dropped lower unit, vertical shaft spins, prop shaft doesn’t. Makes me believe lower unit gears are bad. How can I check this for certain and verify upper unit not root of problem? Is it better to replace outdrive complete than just lower unit? Any units in AZ?

Havasu bound

Cadet
There are gears in the lower unit but on the Volvo all the shifting is in the upper gear housing like on a Bravo drive. On the Volvo there is usually a metal tag on the drive with the ratio and serial/model number.
Thank you,
so if the vertical shaft turns and prop shaft doesn’t, I can assume it’s a gear problem in the lower unit. Is this something left for the experts or doable for a DIY? How can I tell if the problem originated in the upper unit?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Given the complexity in setting up gears/backlash I'm of the opinion that all internal repairs on an outdrive, are for a professional. And I'll take on nearly anything but that's something I don't have the tools or training to do. If the vertical shaft is not turning the prop shaft (have you split the upper and and lower gear housings, or are you turning the driveshaft with the ujoints with the drive shifted into gear?) there is some kind of coupling between the upper and lower shafts that is made to give way if you hit something to protect the gears. Has the boat hit any under water objects? If so I'd make an insurance claim. The parts for these are VERY expensive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

OK part # 1 is what I am referring to, it is a splined coupler that connects the upper and lower vertical driveshafts. Not sure if this is your problem but it could be....
Hope if you hit something that you have insurance.

Havasu bound

Cadet
Given the complexity in setting up gears/backlash I'm of the opinion that all internal repairs on an outdrive, are for a professional. And I'll take on nearly anything but that's something I don't have the tools or training to do. If the vertical shaft is not turning the prop shaft (have you split the upper and and lower gear housings, or are you turning the driveshaft with the ujoints with the drive shifted into gear?) there is some kind of coupling between the upper and lower shafts that is made to give way if you hit something to protect the gears. Has the boat hit any under water objects? If so I'd make an insurance claim. The parts for these are VERY expensive.
The coupler you speak about is good. The prop shows signs of hitting something in the past, thou very minor.
Insurance says they may approve tear down to verify the problem. But if mechanical failure their out. Of course no one has time to even look at it. Exploring avenues to fix myself.

Havasu bound

Cadet
Thanks Matt
my outdrive is an SX. The lower unit was pulled off And when you turn the vertical shaft the prop shaft doesn’t turn. This makes getting the ratio rough. Also no tags on the transom or engine give me a ratio.
Hi Matt,
Back at it again. In the lower unit, does the vertical shaft move up and down to engage and disengage the prop shaft? Would it be possible something let go in the shift linkage, therefore throwing it into neutra. Trying to understand how shifter works
thank you for the help

dubs283

Vice Admiral
In the lower unit, does the vertical shaft move up and down to engage and disengage the prop shaft? Would it be possible something let go in the shift linkage, therefore throwing it into neutra. Trying to understand how shifter works
on all volvo SX-M (including most if not all other volvo) sterndrive units the shifting takes place in the upper half of the drive. the drive unit itself is comprised of two halves, the upper and lower.

nowhere in your posts have you mentioned that you have removed the lower half of the drive from the upper half but based on your posts and the evidence you have provided it seems to me that you have been investigating the lower half of the drive, correct?

to answer your question, no. the vertical shaft located in the lower half does not move up or down to engage shifting, as i stated the shifting takes place in the upper half via a cone clutch, shift foot/actuator and a set of three gears. one drive gear and two driven gears (one for FWD the other for REV.

if my guess is accurate and you are only dealing with the lower half of the drive then there is definitely an issue with the gearset (most likely) or another component in the lower half. when rotating the vertical shaft in the lower half the propshaft should spin, basically the lower half is a "direct drive". there is no way for the gears or shafts to be disengaged unless something is damaged

fyi major drive overhaul and repair is not a job that i would consider appropriate for a novice to attempt. it requires special tools and at the very least an oem repair manual

Havasu bound

Cadet
Thank you dubs283,
I have taken the lower unit loose from the upper. And the vertical shaft diid not turn when the prop shaft was turned. so I put all back together. Concern is that the problem started in the upper half. Repairing the lower might not be the only issue. thank You