5.0 GXI Cracked Block Need Help Sourcing New Parts

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello

Long story short, bought a Regal two weeks ago. Got completely hosed on my purchase. Has a cracked block due to poor/no winterization. Estimate from marina is 16k for new motor. Previous owner is obviously ghosting me. Other than needing a gantry or something similar to hoist the engine im very confident I can do this swap myself. Was thinking of getting a used 5.0 Vortec block/complete motor online and getting me through the rest of the season and maybe even next season. (Plan to make this shitty situation fun by building a 350 or 383 for future swap but want to still take the kids tubing for the next couple months) The issue im having is just making sure i source the proper block. For example i found a fairly low mile 5.0 vortec on marketplace for $500 and its out of a 97 Silverado. Basically just need a yr range of vehicles that are correct. Or is the only thing that matters is the 8 bolt intake pretty much? Pardon my ignorance on the history of gm short blocks. 😀

Fun Times

Staff member
What year is the new to you boat?
Get all the number type info you can find on the engine and post them.
Overall photo of the engine too.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
once you get down to bare block everything from your original motor will go into the motor you mention . it will get you on the water for now.
just be sure to swap cams as a truck cam may well have too much over lap for marine use .

kenny nunez

Captain
Since this is a quick fix just replace the core plugs but you probably need a set of manifolds. Do not worry about replacing the head gaskets. Pay attention to the flywheel and starter mounting so that every thing matches up. The cam swap is up to you and requires dropping the pan and timing cover plus the intake manifold. Also check for the dipstick arrangement.
As Fun Times said some pictures and year model with what you have.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks so far everyone. Heres the engine cover.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

Fun Times

Staff member
Below should be all 3 of your parts guides listings for the engine, drive and transom assembly.

Engine,

Transom assembly,

Drive,

Bondo

Staff member
once you get down to bare block everything from your original motor will go into the motor you mention . it will get you on the water for now.
just be sure to swap cams as a truck cam may well have too much over lap for marine use .
Ayuh,.... That's a pretty slim chance,......
If a stock motor, no need to change the cam,.....

Kenny is on the right page,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1996 and newer are vortec motors

You can build a marine 330hp 350 or 400hp 377 for within $50 of each other with new parts for about $4k. Swap over your parts and do the work yourself

$16k is a new $11k motor with a warranty from VP and installation .

Myself, I would probably order an HT383 and swap cams

Scott Danforth

Staff member
AD... You know I would jettison the EFI.....and build a stroker

alldodge

Staff member
Cant you remap for a 383 with that mpi tune or whatever its called?
Unless it's a MEFI then no. Have not looked it up but I'll bet you have at least a 555 and while some have been done, don't know about the long term success rate. Anything above the 555 ECM , not going to happen

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Depending on the ECM you have, it may be remappable.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
I feel your pain. I bought a 27' Chaparral that ran fine in sea trial. During winter maintenance. metal particles were found in outdrive gear oil. Inspection of the outdrive found forward gear was missing a couple of teeth. Had the outdrive totally rebuilt. That was during the height of COVID-19 and waited all summer for a gear set from Sweden.

I would go with a reman engine from Michigan Motors or similar company.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless it's a MEFI then no. Have not looked it up but I'll bet you have at least a 555 and while some have been done, don't know about the long term success rate. Anything above the 555 ECM , not going to happen
Ill jump in the boat tomorrow and take a gander. What is a 555? Last three off the model number/serial number?

alldodge

Staff member
That's a MEFI 3 so your golden so long as someone has a Bin file. Most 3's are lock but with the right Bin file can wipe it out and reload using MefiBurn

A 555 is the next gen ECM after MEFI

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's a MEFI 3 so your golden so long as someone has a Bin file. Most 3's are lock but with the right Bin file can wipe it out and reload using MefiBurn

A 555 is the next gen ECM after MEFI
Nice. Thank you