5.0 GXI Cracked Block Need Help Sourcing New Parts

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i would just put the stock truck motor you have found for 500 , bolt it all together and run it till it blows , .
meanwhile chase a 350 4 bolter , ditch the fuel injection and build a 450+ hp motor that is ready to bolt in when the time comes .
my bet is even with that stock cam (hope it does not suck water up the pipes), running the 5.0 EFI ,that 500 bucker 5,7 truck motor will outlive the boat.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just put the stock truck motor you have found for 500 , bolt it all together and run it till it blows , .
meanwhile chase a 350 4 bolter , ditch the fuel injection and build a 450+ hp motor that is ready to bolt in when the time comes .
my be is even with that stock cam , running the 5.0 EFI ,that 500 bucker 5,7 truck motor will outlive the boat.
Haha i like that idea. Basically what my intent is at this point. Could my transom and SX-M outdrive even handle something like that?

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Haha i like that idea. Basically what my intent is at this point. Could my transom and SX-M outdrive even handle something like that?
the transom on a sterndrive is there basically to stop the water flowing in :) ,it carries very little if any engine loads like an outboard so the transom should be just fine with a big Hp motor.
i am not familiar with the SX-m drive so i wont comment on that part of the equation.
I'm sure there are people here that will point you in the direction you would need to go if mods are required to run hp on the drive you have

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im about to go pick this motor up in a bit. The seller was concerned about dipstick placement. Any ideas if ill run into issues with this?

Bondo

Staff member
Im about to go pick this motor up in a bit. The seller was concerned about dipstick placement. Any ideas if ill run into issues with this?
Ayuh,.... Yer gonna use all the parts off the old motor, is shouldn't matter,....
What year is the motor,..??
I believe the dipstick swapped sides in '79,....

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
May have already answered my own question. Is there anything i need to do with the old dipstick location though?

Fun Times

Staff member
Haha ok sounds good.
Need some more info of the truck engine you are about to get? What year and what year is the boat?
Do a quick search of GM 5.0L "Reluctor Wheel" 24x or 58x... Black (24) or Gray (58) Crank shaft Sensor which is part of the timing system in which could be an possible issue.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need some more info of the truck engine you are about to get? What year and what year is the boat?
Do a quick search of GM 5.0L "Reluctor Wheel" 24x or 58x... Black (24) or Gray (58) Crank shaft Sensor which is part of the timing system in which could be an possible issue.
1997 chevy silverado
2005 vp 5.0 gxi

Fun Times

Staff member
1997 chevy silverado
2005 vp 5.0 gxi
You're right at the line making it hard call to say for sure.

VP crank sensor 3858979, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...acat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=3852690&_osacat=0