454 mc with water in spark plugs + milkshake

Dgraydon

Recruit
2000 Searay Sundancer with 7.4 mpi. Replaced fuel pump/cooler over the mild winter here in Northern Ca. Apparently, I didn’t tighten the hose clamp enough to water supply on starboard side engine. Tested at home and idle check on lake. Everything was great during idle check but when I opened her up she started lagging. Ran her maybe 2 minutes and shut it down. Open the lid and water was everywhere and bilge started. Engine over temp alarm then went on for about 10 seconds then back off. Engine was off. Waited about 10 minutes and had wife turn engine over with me watching and water shot out of the hose - right torwards the intake. Checked oil and it was full of milkshake. Let the boat sit for 15 min and hooked the hose on security. Boat started and sounded OK so idled back to dock and took her home.

On my driveway leans slightly to starboard side. Water in spark plugs on starboard side. Port side didn’t see obvious sign of water. Not sure if due to lean. Pulled the starboard exhaust manifold and inspected. No crack and water tested. Seems fine. Exhaust ports are not rusty. Ready to pull head. Compression test was 105-120 but #3 was 90. No pinging.

I pulled about 12 qts of milkshake out of the engine so estimating 5-6 quarts of water in the oil.

Question: could I have pulled that much water into the intake and if so does the above make sense. I had water in my oil before I connected the hose back up but don’t know exactly when it blew off? Just trying to avoid pulling the heads if I don’t have too. Is there any others tests I can run? Thinking I might clean out the milkshake, add fresh oil, and rerun the engine until hot. Would a hose test be an adequate to leak test or does the boat need to be in the water (lake 10min away) with some torque and pressure? Just looking for some additional ideas or thoughts from all the experience on this forum. All ideas appreciated…thank!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, if you were spraying water at the intake, yes, you could have ingested water.

start by changing oil, run for 15 minutes, then change oil again.

also do a compression test. and a water jacket pressure test

Bondo

Staff member
Compression test was 105-120 but #3 was 90. No pinging.
I pulled about 12 qts of milkshake out of the engine so estimating 5-6 quarts of water in the oil.
Question: could I have pulled that much water into the intake and if so does the above make sense. I had water in my oil before I connected the hose back up but don’t know exactly when it blew off? Just trying to avoid pulling the heads if I don’t have too. Is there any others tests I can run? Thinking I might clean out the milkshake, add fresh oil, and rerun the engine until hot. Would a hose test be an adequate to leak test or does the boat need to be in the water (lake 10min away) with some torque and pressure? Just looking for some additional ideas or thoughts from all the experience on this forum. All ideas appreciated…thank!
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Don't pull the head just yet,.....

Turn the motor over so that the cylinder with low compression is at Tdc, compression stroke, 'n pressurize it with compressed air, 'n listen,.....
If air escapes through the exhaust, it's a burnt / bad exhaust valve,....
If through the intake, it's that valve,....
If though the oil fill, the rings are shot, or the piston is holed,....

Then, isolate the block's cooling passages from the rest of the water system, 'n pressurize to 'bout 15 psi, 'n listen,.... follow the sound of the air to the leak,.....

Even if you were pourin' water straight into the intake, the water would be pumped out the exhaust, not into the oil,.....
If you holed a piston, some mighta made it to the oil, but I doubt that much that you say,......

I'm thinkin' yer winter wasn't as mild as you think, 'n you didn't drain all the water outa the motor,....
'n you usually can't hear detonation in a boat, unlike a car,....