4200 or 5200; that is the question

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My transom plug was lose. It needs to be resealed. Is this something I should be planning to replace occasionally? Or should I go big and make it permanent?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4200 or 5200; that is the question

When you say "Plug" do you mean the brass Tube that the Plug goes in is loose?

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good point. I was unclear. The fitting that the plug screws into, mounted with three screws into the fiberglass transom was lose. It had sealant, but I'm guessing it was 4200. It had consistency of silicone sealant.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would recommend using the 4200 and coating the mounting screws, holes and plate with it. Make sure everything gets coated well. Clean up with Acetone.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Woodonglass. 4200 it is.

rcarduino

Cadet

Hi,
Just completed the same job myself. I took the opportunity seal the glass around the plug with epoxy as well, I am a newb myself so maybe some experts can advise whether this step is necessary if your going to seal with 4200 as well ?

Duane

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would use 5200 below the water line with the possible exception if the boat is trailered.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm curious as to why you recommend 5200 over 4200 for a Marina stored boat as opposed to a trailered boat? According to 3M the only significant difference between the two is the strength of the bond. Both are identical in respect to sealing and water resistance. What would, in your opinion, this storage factor have to do with the product used.? To me it's only a matter of the ease of removal. Of course, I've been wrong a LOT!!! Would like to understand and learn from your reasoning:)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Because thats what the 3M rep recommended. 4200 for above the waterline, 4000 for above the waterline, 5200 for below. 5200 for stuff you do not want to come apart, 4200 for stuff you may want to come apart (bulwark covers, etc.)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Interesting. All their Datasheets say that the two are basically the same except for the strength of the bond. Their spec sheets state both are for above and below the waterline. My guess is they would recommend the 5200 on below the waterline due to its enhanced bonding strength so you wouldn't have to worry about it coming loose. That's about all I can think of. Thanks for posting what they said, it helps us all to better understand the reasoning behind these kinds of things and make better decisions for our repairs.:)

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I suspect the deciding factor here is whether or not the plug fitting will need to be replaced. IOW, should the fitting be considered a wear item?

My boat happens to be trailered. I remove the plug occasionally to see if anything has gotten into the bilge (water, oil, screws). It is brass, which is a obviously a soft metal. Being new to boating, I don't know the wear life of a brass fitting. Will the threads wear and require replacement? If so, why don't they use a stainless steel fitting with sacrificial plugs?

For now, I'm going with 4200. If it comes lose again, we'll consider some more aggressive measures.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wanting something to be permanent and actually achieving it can be different things. The three screws holding the body of the fitting take considerable torgue stress when the plug is installed and removed. Ask a mechanic and he'll probably tell you it's not uncommon for the fitting to loosen up over time. With that said, I wouldn't want mine to come loose after bedding with 5200, it would likely take some gelcoat and/or interior transom wood with it ... :cold: