40 hp evinrude outboard Shift Lever neutral switch

Pappabill

Recruit
Having intermittent crank issue first try in the morning . Have to jiggle shift lever to hear start alarm. Engine starts eventually and after warm up the problem is less severe. Can I tighten the idle adjustment on the back of the control box and get any adjustment to the switch making contact with the shift lever gears ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by the " start alarm " ?-----If that is the overheat warning self check then I do not believe the issue is the neutral switch,-----I would say you need to split the control box and see why there is no power at the ignition switch !

Pappabill

Recruit
no notnover heat just the system alert beep that is normal if the motor has completed the circuit to get the solenoid to engage. we are waiting to hear that sound as we then know the neutral switch is hitting the pin on the safety switch and will start as it is in neutral and making contact. Seems like the shift lever has either worn down the button on the safet switch or is out of alignment. i saw somewhere that the idle adjust bolt on the control box may also adjust the play in the lever to go on the saftey swith pin and make it strt consistenly. I will have to try that

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is the model # of your motor ?-----And are you 100% sure of how this all works ?