4- 6 inch crack in floor repair... help please

Carter25

Cadet
Ok so I picked up the little gem, 81 Mckee Craft Aruba. I have successfully repaired several stress fractures and small holes in the hull. Officially takes no water at all.

Next repair is a 4" to 6" crack that runs perpendicular across the center channel that runs length of the floor. The previous owner installed an intake for a bait tank there and seems the hole he drilled weakened the floor causing it to crack. Ive since removed the tank but am hesitant to remove the intake. Dont wish to create a 6'' hole in the hull to fiberglass.

I filled with some West Systems Six10 epoxy and it just cracked first ride out. I knew it would but wishful thinking.

I am assuming I can just bevel the crack nicely and fill with a heavy 12 to 24 oz fiberglass cloth.

Any advice on this one please. Looking to finish it off this weekend before laying down new marine grade plywood decking

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4- 6 inch crack in floor repair... help please

Ayuh,... It looks like the bulkhead is Broken, 'n should be replaced...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's hard to tell exactly what we're looking at in that pic, but yes, the repair involves grinding and new glass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree ^^^. We need a better "Backed Off" pic and a description of what we are looking at. You KNOW what it is but we don't. A little help please!;)

Carter25

Cadet

View attachment 107519
I agree ^^^. We need a better "Backed Off" pic and a description of what we are looking at. You KNOW what it is but we don't. A little help please!;)

Here is a " backed off photo. Boat is a 14' McKee Craft " unsinkable" skiff. Have gone out plenty but still havent fixed crack in floor. Did a lot of minor fiberglassing on the hull and repaired a couple quarter sized holes as well. Damn near 100% water tight. No water to speak of when pulling the plugs after 5-7 hrs on the water.

I like your quote about "denial" however the transom has no flex. Just wanna repair crack and re-floor with new ply w/ resin or marine grade ply. Then put n a center console where that bait tank was.

Thanks

Carter25

Cadet

View attachment 107520
View attachment 107519

Here is a " backed off photo. Boat is a 14' McKee Craft " unsinkable" skiff. Have gone out plenty but still havent fixed crack in floor. Did a lot of minor fiberglassing on the hull and repaired a couple quarter sized holes as well. Damn near 100% water tight. No water to speak of when pulling the plugs after 5-7 hrs on the water.

I like your quote about "denial" however the transom has no flex. Just wanna repair crack and re-floor with new ply w/ resin or marine grade ply. Then put n a center console where that bait tank was.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Pic did not come thru.