4.3l GM V6 random hard starting

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's exactly how my throttle was on my pontoon boat but it's an outboard and has more bends and ends up in the outboard itself.

I figured 90% chance it was the cable vs the control but, on the advice of a mechanic at my marina that I trust a lot, I took the recommendation to go with a gen 2 control and new cables.

In your case, you may just want to take the ends off both sides eventually and see how the cable moves and how the control moves with nothing attached.

Svshaw82

Seaman
That's exactly how my throttle was on my pontoon boat but it's an outboard and has more bends and ends up in the outboard itself.

I figured 90% chance it was the cable vs the control but, on the advice of a mechanic at my marina that I trust a lot, I took the recommendation to go with a gen 2 control and new cables.

In your case, you may just want to take the ends off both sides eventually and see how the cable moves and how the control moves with nothing attached.

Yeah I might do that tomorrow. It's a pita to try docking or just pull a tube. It's like too little throttle or too much. Lol.

Svshaw82

Seaman
Ok, well I gave that a shot and the throttle with gear shift is smooth and easy to operate when both disconnected. Hook up just the carb, still easy and smooth, hook up the gear shift and it's back to a pita.

The gear select/neutral safety switch is a pita to move by hand. The big part to the left of the carb. Disconnect the gear cable and that seems easy to move in and out. Seems the arm is tight to move. Not sure why.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The big part to the left of the carb. Disconnect the gear cable and that seems easy to move in and out. Seems the arm is tight to move. Not sure why.
That will be hard to move if the engine is not running.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you might need a lower shift cable. Have you ever changed it? You store your drive in the down position?

Makes no sense though that it affects your throttle.

Svshaw82

Seaman
Sounds like you might need a lower shift cable. Have you ever changed it? You store your drive in the down position?

Makes no sense though that it affects your throttle.

No, I have not. Just starting to get into this boat. I just recently did a new gimbal bearing and bellows, shifter cable alone feels smooth. It's the arm on the neutral safety switch that's tough. Maybe the whole handle really is just worn out?

Svshaw82

Seaman
Update,
I rebuilt the carb. Everything cleaned, all new internals, still having a problem starting. I did however install a inline glass fuel filter to see how the gas is pumping. It's barely moving once I got it started. That was last night. Just now it won't start at all. Pumped it enough that I hear and see some gas squirting, got nothing now but stinky gas smell.

Svshaw82

Seaman
Through the filter i cam see gas bubbling slowing when it was running, not even filling 1/3 of the glass. Maybe more of 1/4? I'm starting to wonder if the fuel pump is no good? Not filling my float bowl in the carb.

What do you all think? Poor fuel pump causing hard starting? Reaks of fuel while trying to start though. Carb rebuilt, should be good. I replaced the fuel/water separator filter as well. New check valve in line... I have great spark, checked that off first.

Svshaw82

Seaman
Had it out at the lake today still a little hard to start at times but it ran okay did anybody have any thoughts to add