3M vs Meguiars for gel coat restore, what's better

dyerk

Cadet
I am about to wet sand and rub out my '79 Glastron bass boat. Has anyone used both 3M and Meguiars and if so what is the better option.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3M vs Meguiars for gel coat restore, what's better

My last boat I tried Meguiars and Aqua-Buff. The results were the same, but the application was different.

Aqua-Buff was my preference because it is water clean up. Compounding the boat creates white mess and sure was nice to just hose it off for cleanup. There is an Aqua Buff 1000 and 2000 product -- compound and then polish. And it is not expensive!

After you get done with Polish, that Mequiers Marine Wax was some very nice stuff !

dyerk

Cadet

Never heard of aqua buff and I would prefer to use a name brand

kvarilek

Cadet

I actually used the Meguiars 3 step package here a few weeks ago. I think it worked very well, I can not speak for 3M products however as I have never used them. I'll try to get some pictures so you can see how it turned out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've used 3M polishing system with a variable speed Makita buffer, but not on gel coat. But my results were fantastic. I even surprised myself with the final results... But I have not used any of the others. I had heard that 3M bought Meguiars out but still allows them to market under their original name...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Never heard of aqua buff and I would prefer to use a name brand

Aqua Buff is a well know product in the fiberglass industry, I don't know if it's even marketed to the retail segment.

They can all work well in the right situation. Some are more aggressive than others, some surfaces need that type of product and others don't, every boat will be different, so one person’s results may not be relevant to the next person when using a product. It's more important that the system or brand you choose has several options on grit so you can use what's needed for your project, which may include sanding first.

dyerk

Cadet

Well I used the 3 step Meguiars mainly becasue thats what Bass Pro carried; oxidation remover, polish and wax. First I wet sanded the areas that were faded the most with 1200 grit paper, then used the oxidation remover, polisher and wax. I have owned this boat for 15 years and have never had it looking this good but it did take me 1.5 days to complete the job.photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Boat Looks Nice. Not yanking your chain, but the proof will be in longevity. Please report back at the end of the season to let us know how it holds up. That's ALWAYS the key for any product. It would be a great service to the forum if you would give us a report on how well it holds up to the sun and use this season. Also what was your application technique? Did you use a power polisher?

dyerk

Cadet

I used 1200 grit wet sand paper and put a little dishsoap in the water for lubrication and risnsed the paper often and then wiped with water and dried with a fresh towel. I used a 6" polisher/sander on low with wool pad for the Meguiars oixdation remover for large areas and by hand for smaller areas. The Meguiars Polish was applied with an orbital buffer and a synthetic pad and wiped with a terry cloth. The wax was applied both by hand and the orbitral buffer on some areas and then wiped off with another terry towel. You are right about how well it holds up. I will also try to buy a spray wax and aplly after every fishing trip to see if it will last longer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks for that!!! Keep us posted!!!! I hope it stands up to the elements!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Aqua Buff is a well know product in the fiberglass industry, I don't know if it's even marketed to the retail segment.

They can all work well in the right situation. Some are more aggressive than others, some surfaces need that type of product and others don't, every boat will be different, so one person’s results may not be relevant to the next person when using a product. It's more important that the system or brand you choose has several options on grit so you can use what's needed for your project, which may include sanding first.

^^ Very good post and explanation ^^

I agree ... I dont see the the Aquabuff system in normal shelves of any marine store. But gallons and gallons were there on the Production part of Build Floors ;) .. Good stuff actually.

Whatever works though :) ..

YD.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

She looks great in the pictures!

Doesn't really matter now, but FWIW I've used both 3M and Mequiars (depending on what was more readily available) and thought they were both good products. I've used other products too....some were better than others....but I don't think you'll go wrong with either of those brands.