35 Johnson overheating

sinkhole

Seaman
Thanks to all that replied to my problem. I'm happy to say that after my last attempt all appears to be successful. Having removed gear cases on many motors there always seemed to be enough of a gap between gear case and adjoining mid section on reinstall to have a view of copper water tube and water pump grommet for alignment. I didn't have that view with this motor and I was wondering if shaft was too short and not going into grommet. I took a 2inch section of clear plastic tubing heated the end and attached to copper water tube. With this extra length of pipe extension I was able to clearly see water tube and pump grommet when I attached the gear case .I ran motor on muffs and motor stayed cool. I will reinstall thermostat and change location of tell tale probably in a location around the top of head. I
have a water pump kit on order which I will install later. Had to go to a 1978
kit from Sierra hope it fits? I know the impeller key wont but figure I can use existing impeller. Parts dealer wasn't very helpful.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Thanks to all that replied to my problem. I'm happy to say that after my last attempt all appears to be successful. Having removed gear cases on many motors there always seemed to be enough of a gap between gear case and adjoining mid section on reinstall to have a view of copper water tube and water pump grommet for alignment. I didn't have that view with this motor and I was wondering if shaft was too short and not going into grommet. I took a 2inch section of clear plastic tubing heated the end and attached to copper water tube. With this extra length of pipe extension I was able to clearly see water tube and pump grommet when I attached the gear case .I ran motor on muffs and motor stayed cool. I will reinstall thermostat and change location of tell tale probably in a location around the top of head. I
have a water pump kit on order which I will install later. Had to go to a 1978
kit from Sierra hope it fits? I know the impeller key wont but figure I can use existing impeller. Parts dealer wasn't very helpful.
End of your tube might have rotted off. There were several options online for a complete OEM pump kit but maybe you tried a local dealer. Might start getting hard to get this stuff.

sinkhole

Seaman
End of your tube might have rotted off. There were several options online for a complete OEM pump kit but maybe you tried a local dealer. Might start getting hard to get this stuff.
I searched all over for parts with no success. There are types of pumps for this motor. Mine has the smaller impeller which I got for $23.00 from Amazon. local parts dealer wanted $48.00 for impeller 80.00 for a wear plate & $60.00 for a impeller cup. After a long search I found a kit for a1978 35 Johnson for $62.00 has gaskets 'bolts, seals, impeller, wear plate, pump housing etc. looks identical except for impeller key, one I have now has a woodruff key