35 HP Chrysler shift problem

earlybird

Cadet
Need help! recently bought 35 HP Chrysler outboard, Model # 357HP, Serial # 1771, can someone tell me what year motor was made and correct plug and gap, also thumps hard when shifting out of neutral, does it when going into forward or reverse, has single lever shifter with 2 cables, any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />------------------

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 35 HP Chrysler shift problem

Hi Earlybird ,<br />Dont have a spec book at home for year.<br />Points=.020<br />plugs=.030 std ing.........040 eletronic ing<br />plug type=Chr lists L4JorC for most older ones they also used RJ12C,L86C L82C. I'll check on it.<br />Gear thump,Sounds like the motor is idleing to fast. There is a stop on the vertical shaft that moves the stator. On that shaft is a set screw,back it out 1 turn maybe less to slow the RPM down.<br />hope this helps...corm

earlybird

Cadet

Originally posted by corm:<br />Hi Earlybird ,<br />Dont have a spec book at home for year.<br />Points=.020<br />plugs=.030 std ing.........040 eletronic ing<br />plug type=Chr lists L4JorC for most older ones they also used RJ12C,L86C L82C. I'll check on it.<br />Gear thump,Sounds like the motor is idleing to fast. There is a stop on the vertical shaft that moves the stator. On that shaft is a set screw,back it out 1 turn maybe less to slow the RPM down.<br />hope this helps...corm
<br /><br />Hello Corm<br />adjusted idle, no more thump, thanks for info, still need year of make in order to buy repair manual, saw a book that covers years 68 to 86, would that one work? Thanks Again.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry I brought home the wrong book tonight.<br />Looked today, but didn't see a HP,saw H just about every other letter. I would think that<br />the book your looking at will cover the year that you have.<br />...good luck...corm