3 or 4 blade?

trswenson

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
22
I'm going to upgrade to stainless soon. I run a 23' reinell open bow, V-P Sx drive 5.7 ltr (280 Horse). Do lotsa pullin (waketower), tubes, skiers, wakeboarding w/ lotsa weight on board in the form of 4-6 adults and 4-6 kids on average. My best prop is the OEM 17 pitch. Some sites suggest a 4 blade for towing sports. Would I stick with 17 pitch or have to go lower? What is the real advantage & disadvantages.

Hurray for spring and a great water year here in Utah !! THANX>>> ;-)>
 

bhammer

Ensign
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
963
Re: 3 or 4 blade?

I run a 4 blade on mine. Your hole shot is much improved with the 4 blade but I don't think you will see much of anything change on the top end speed. Where are you on WOT? Most people go down 1" of pitch when moving to a 4blade to keep RMPs the same.
 

trswenson

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
22
Re: 3 or 4 blade?

Holeshot is pretty good with the 17P 3 blade aluminum already. I would like to hold plane at a lower speed which probably means a slightly higher RPM and lower pitched prop, I think? 4 blades make the boat a little faster than a 3 blade of the same pitch then?

Wish there was a place that let ya take 2-3-4 props out for a day to try 'em out.

Thanx for you insight....
 

trswenson

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
22
Re: 3 or 4 blade?

Just got off the phone with a Michigan Wheel guy. Sounds like a 4 blade SS 16 pitch is the key to my type of boating. Top end will be great ly diminshed but oh-well.

Thanx all...
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: 3 or 4 blade?

If staying on plane at slower speed is what you are looking for, there is a much cheaper and far more effective way to do it. Add trim tabs -- either helm adjustable, or Smart Tabs. They are cheaper than a prop and if you have good performance with the existing prop, why spend more money any only get marginal results.
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: 3 or 4 blade?

If staying on plane at slower speed is what you are looking for, there is a much cheaper and far more effective way to do it. Add trim tabs -- either helm adjustable, or Smart Tabs. They are cheaper than a prop and if you have good performance with the existing prop, why spend more money any only get marginal results.
 

bhammer

Ensign
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
963
Re: 3 or 4 blade?

You beat me to it. Add trim tabs. I personally like the smart tabs.
 
Top