3.5 Eska ignition

hi salenity

Seaman
Hi, I just got a 3.5 Eska and it will start but barely run. My first thought was carb... but after cleaning the bowl and checking the needle & seat it still has problems.
So I pull the plug and check the spark. I don't think it's firing every time it should more like fire twice and miss then fire again. it is not a rhythmic pop,pop,pop as it fires more a pop,pop---------- pop,------- pop,pop... So I decided to test the spark with my spark gap tester, If I remember correctly my 200hp will throw a spark 10mm this one will barely throw a spark wider than the gap of a spark plug.

It is a Magneto with Points. I looked and the points don't look old and the gap on the points LOOKS good

HELP?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.5 Eska ignition

Clean the points with some contact cleaner on a business card dragged gently through the points.Be sure the air gap between the coil and the magnet is ok.Agin something like a business card to check the clearance.
Not sure if your can check it that way.Just be sure the stator is stable and the coil doesn't rub.Be sure the magnet is clean.
Is the flywheel key in good shape.Coil wire in good shape.No wear spots.

hi salenity

Seaman

I tried to clean the points up a bit with fine sandpaper and cleaned the flywheel and coil.

it will "spark" almost every time if I set the gap to about the same as a spark plug gap but will not "spark" if I open the gap up to twice that (+1/8")

It may be the connection of the plug wire at the coil but I'd figure that would either work or not work and I see no sparks along the wire...

I'm leaning toward the coil or condenser.

Thoughts?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sure could be.Sometimes if the points are pitted and you sand them material deposits in the pit causing poor contact.
Did you check the continuity of the plug wire.
Is it a molded coil they do sometimes get corroded where the wire goes in the coil
and inside the boot.You might check that the magnet is strong with a screwdriver or something.
While some folks really like the Eskas I would save the money for a coil and add to it to some more for a 3 hp Evinrude or Johnson from the 50s or 60s.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

The plug gap is bigger than the point gap is suppossed to be - points gap is supposed to be .020", set with the moveable point arm on the high spot on the crank cam - there are a couple of marls on the face of that cam that mark where the point arm is supposed to be.