3.0L I/O issue after new shifter was installed

Texasmouth

Cadet
New to the forum...

I just purchased a 2008 Suntracker Party Barge 25 with the 3.0L I/O. The boat was just serviced by a shop and they installed a new shifter and cable. The boat runs like a champ on the water house at the house but when it is in the water, it sputters and dies when I give it throttle or turn. Even in the water the boat runs amazing when its in nuetral, even reving the engine up to high RPM's. The shifter was not tightened down correctly and I literally have to hold the base to move the throttle. The shop did a really lousy job and I have complained.
Is it a possibility that the loose shifter assembly could be causing the stalling issues? Thanks for any advice or opinions.

alldodge

Staff member
The shift cable is not adjusted correctly. Most likely the shift interruptor is switching and causing the motor issues

airshot

Rear Admiral
Is it possible that the the shifter not being secured could be the problem?
Mabey but not likely, would definetly return it to the dealer that took your money. As mentioned the cable needs adjusted, they always work better on a hose out of the water, but actually need to be in the water to adjust them correctly. The back pressure from being in the water makes a big difference in making that adjustment.

Texasmouth

Cadet
I live in Las Vegas and the boat dock here is a nightmare. The shop that did the work is refusing to cover the work even though it is under warranty.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Find another shop or contact Mercury if under warranty. If your still paying for it, stop all payments until it is fixed!