3.0 litre outdrive problem

jaylamb

Cadet
Been a while since I've had to post on here.Finally got the floor replaced in my 86 Cobiawith a 140hp Mercruiser,second time on the water I hit a shoal,damaged the prop,spun the bushing inside,damaged the skag and put a gouge in the side,not enough to break through. Now today I took the prop off,I noticed while in gear I can spin the prop shaft,it makes a clicking noise.I called a guy that does boat repair,he told me the gear box wouldn't lock into gear unless I was in water and running.I never heard of such a thing.To me that gear box should lock in reguardless.I put flush muffs on and started the boat,I put the damaged prop on and it did spin the prop in gear running.Now the boat wouldn't move yesterday in the water,however the prop bushing was spun so it would have slipped.Any input would be helpful,thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.0 litre outdrive problem

Now today I took the prop off,I noticed while in gear I can spin the prop shaft,it makes a clicking noise.

Ayuh,... It should ratchet 1 way, 'n lock the other way...

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The prop should ratchet to the right or clockwise and should lock left or counter clockwise. If you take the upper apart from the lower you should always lock the prop to the left before you remate them.

jaylamb

Cadet

Thanks guys,it did lock in when I turned the nut to remove the prop.Whew! I glad I didn't smoke that outdrive,Thanks!