3.0 GSPHUB Starter

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice
Finally got this boat running good, and now the issues start all over again. I've always heard that when you have toys, they make 'em expensive to keep up. Anyways, today, we finished cleaning up the boat and installing the seats. Just out of curiosity, since we had issues with positive power to the dash, I decided to hit the horn. Nothing.

So, we retraced all of our steps, as I had been installing 12v cigarette lighter plugs, and I disconnected everything I had done to ensure we were just like we were before. Still nothing. Checked the battery with a volt meter, and it was stone cold graveyard dead. So, hooked booster cables to it, and decided to see what we had after charging for a few minutes. Fired right up, BUT..... It would not shut off. Motor continued to run with the key in my hand. Had to disconnect battery to kill it. It's worth noting that the starter continued to spin over with the motor, it never disengaged.

So, after talking to a couple buddies, and an uncle who is a GM mechanic, we decided to check the start relay. Sure enough, with a few taps on the relay, it started acting right. Ran up town, bought a new relay, and into the boat it went. Hit the key and got that god awful click. Bump the starter a few times and she fires right up.

I said all that to ask this... Am I right for assuming this is the starter, and not the solenoid (which is new)? And was my relay bad to begin with? I haven't removed the starter just yet, plan on doing so tomorrow AM. Is this a PMGR starter, or direct drive? I've searched and searched, and all I can come up with is Volvo Part # 3862308. After doing some reading on this forum, I've been educated that if it is PMGR, I can simply pick one up at the local parts house because all PMGR starters are sealed off "marine"-like, and if it's direct drive, it has to be the special "marine" type. Any clue which starter it is before I go to the trouble of tearing the seats and engine cover off to pull this starter?

P.S. Sorry for the long backstory, but I want to make sure I've done right so far, or if there's something I've missed, I'm sure someone will tell me.