3.0 GS stalling when put in gear

skibumnh

Cadet
I have a 3.0 GS that stalls when put in gear, but only when cold. It starts right up and will idle indefinitely, but stalls as soon as it's put in gear. It only happens when the engine is cold. Once it runs for 5-10 minutes, it works as expected. The typical scenario is that after launching in the morning, I have to sit on the dock while it warms up enough to pull away. 10 minutes feels like an eternity when everyone is waiting for you to get out of the way.

The choke closes after priming, and slowly opens as the temp increases as I would expect, but it's only reading 7 volts. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not. Also idle seems like it might be a bit high at 1800 RPMs, but I'm far from an expert. I could use any advice the experts here can share.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sounds like your carb has an issue with the idle circuit being plugged and someone turned up the idle to compensate for it. you are no longer running on the idle circuit, however the main jets

the holley 2300 carb on the motor most likely needs a tear down and cleaning and to be re-assembled with a rebuild kit.

idle should be 650 RPM

skibumnh

Cadet
That makes sense. The previous owner mentioned having his mechanic do some work on the carb. Thanks for the insight.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would fix the issue before continuing to use the boat.

FYI, a true mechanic would not have turned the idle up. that is how you tear up the cone clutches