3.0 140 hp 4 cyl Merc vs OMC

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
872
Please forgive me as Im sure the answer to my question has been answered many times before and I did try searching the forum , honestly...
Is a Mercruiser 140hp 3.0 engine (1980 VINTAGE) the same as OMC 3.0 140hp engine?
The reason I ask is that a local guy is selling a boat with a cracked block, it's an OMC set-up in the boat and used OMC parts dont seem to be as plentiful as Mercruiser. Just want to know if I can expand my search criteria for a used engine to include Mercruiser?
BTW the boat is a 1980 Starcraft Holiday, not a particularly pretty boat but well built from what I've read.
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: 3.0 140 hp 4 cyl Merc vs OMC

The engine (Long Block basically) is the same GM 3.0L engine and used on both OMC and Merc. What changes is the marine parts.
Ignition, manifolds, carbs, bellhousing, couplers, etc.
 

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
872
Re: 3.0 140 hp 4 cyl Merc vs OMC

Thanks for the reply Don.
I dont mind swapping parts from one block to the other so I guess Im safe to shop for Mercruiser. You kind of have me puzzled with the bellhousing though. can you provide more detail?
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: 3.0 140 hp 4 cyl Merc vs OMC

The bellhousing (aka flywheel cover) has different motor mount setups between OMC and Mercruiser.
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: 3.0 140 hp 4 cyl Merc vs OMC

The reason I ask is that a local guy is selling a boat, 1980 Starcraft Holiday, with a cracked block, it's an OMC set-up in the boat and used OMC parts dont seem to be as plentiful as Mercruiser.

Ayuh,......

You should be expanding your search for a Different Boat,.....
Not Parts to fix That 1......
There are literally Thousands of Starcraft Holidays out there with Mercruiser power,......
I've junked out several of them.....
 
Top