Re: 2nd Try at first boat...Opinions
Nobody mentioned this yet, but have your considered a Pontoon boat?
They are definitely roomy, with couches for the family, and plenty of space for fishing.
They are very shallow draft, meaning you can get into shallower water, for fishing the creeks.
Most have smaller outboards, 30HP or so, mainly just for putting around, so you can only do real slow tubing for the kids. Some have over 100HP motors, so you can actually tube or waterski behind them.
Used ones are a dime-a-dozen in my area (Ocean City, MD). Actually you can get a decent used one for around $2k. There's A LOT of vinyl seats on a Pontoon, and at the $2k range expect to find torn seams, etc. They don't seem to hold up much value in the used market, so you could maybe get a decent one for cheap. There's not much to them, so there's not much to go wrong, and they're easy to maintain.
Personally, I wouldn't want one. They don't look like a REAL boat. More like a floating patio. And I live in tidal waters with waves and such, and I wouldn't want a wave breaking over that low bow. I suspect that's not a problem in Pittsburg. But, you mentioned that this might be just a first boat, and that you'd move up to something better in a few years.
Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.
Just had another thought.... When you're doing your craigslist searching, look for boats in Ocean City, MD, or at the Delaware beach towns. A lot of boats are always for sale in these areas, and if you find a couple that are of interest, come on down and get a hotel for the night and check them out. Hotel rates are way cheap here in the winter.