2lb. density foam or 4lb.?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I am pulling the floor up this winter and I am slowly accumulating products for the project. Marine grade ply, gluvit, rivets, amongst other things. My 16' aluminum Starcraft ('86) has been beating the heck out of me in relatively light chop. I noticed that the boat does not have foam down the center channel.(factory had storage in the center of the boat) I was wondering 3 things. If I allow a smaller channel for any water to flow down the middle of the boat, and fill the rest up with foam, will it help dampen the beating a bit more? If I put a custom gas tank in the floor up front will that help a bit(the added weight)? Also, would 2lb. density or 4lb. density be better to fill the floors with in order to lighten my weekly beating? I have used U.S. Composites 2lb. and was pleased. I just want to get the best ride possible out of my tinny. My fishing buddies dont mind either way, but my wife and dog would sure appreciate it!!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2lb. density foam or 4lb.?

Its a tinny, they are light weight, hence a rough ride. I personally don't think the foam will improve the ride much. Take your buddies fishing in the tinny and get a glass ride for the wife and dog...:):)

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Its a tinny, they are light weight, hence a rough ride. I personally don't think the foam will improve the ride much. Take your buddies fishing in the tinny and get a glass ride for the wife and dog...:):)

What about tilt and trim. If I trim the front of the boat up or down will it give me any changes?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Sure proper trim will always help somewhat......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Lighter 2 lb is all you need. The 4 lb and above was designed for structural strength inside a hull. It is not used for structure in a Starcraft aluminum hull

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Would keeping more of the weight up front help cut through the chop and prevent the bow from rising and dropping as hard? I have no desire to buy a glasser, just want to get the smoothest ride possible out of my Starrie. I want to put the gas tank in the floor up front for more than one reason. (Dealing with porpoising) This boat is a very stern heavy boat.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Lighter 2 lb is all you need. The 4 lb and above was designed for structural strength inside a hull. It is not used for structure in a Starcraft aluminum hull

Do you need foam in a Starcraft 18' alum subfloor structure then ?

Just wondering..

YD.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Do you need foam in a Starcraft 18' alum subfloor structure then ?

Just wondering..

YD.

Yes, but just for flotation. My question was based on my theory that the denser foam would absorb more of the bow bashing.

Decker83

Commander

I have a question for you. When your buddies were in the boat, did they ride up front? Does the extra weight of your buddies
in the boat help with the ride.
Adding 4lb foam will add more weight than 2lb foam. But if the ride is not better with your buddies in the boat then the foam will not do that much for you.

Take it out and add some sand bags or something that would represent the weight displacement you want and see if it helps before you go out and spend money. Also the more weight you add the less people can go out with you.
Good luck with the floor replacement. Bring on the pics.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Are you running a tiller steer or side console?

I'd go with the 4lb. foam just because it's tougher. Yes it will add more weight, but from what you describe it won't be much. I'm guessing by your description you won't need more than a 4 cubic foot kit, and that would only be 8 lbs. heavier than the 2 lb. foam.

Power tilt and trim may smooth out your ride some... but I'm pretty sure you boat rides rough because it's a small boat, and all small boats ride rough in a chop. Nature of the beast and all that jolly rot.

Decker83

Commander

The point I am trying to make here is,
1 If 2 of his buddies go out with him and they each weigh say 175 lbs each he has 350lbs of extra weight in the boat. If he can not tell any differance in the way the boat handles with them in the boat and when he is out by himself then a few extra pounds of foam will not do him any good.
2 If he adds a fuel tank up front and say its a 25 gallon tank he has only added about 151 3/4lbs. This would only be half of his 2 buddies weight. Again may be alittle better but is it worth the price to place the gas tank up front.

Just a thought.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have a question for you. When your buddies were in the boat, did they ride up front? Does the extra weight of your buddies
in the boat help with the ride.

Yes it does help somewhat. The gas tank is under my feet at the console right now. Makes it a bit scary to smoke a black and mild. :) But I am placing the tank in the floor for more reasons than one. I want the tank out of the way, and moving 100+ pounds from the back(or middle) up to the front should make some sort of difference. It is not so much the added weight of the foam that I am hoping will make the change, it is the density of it. I want the foam to absorb more of the smacking. The center of the boat literally has NO foam in it from bow to stern. Don't know if they did it to keep a water "channel" underneath, but I plan on leaving a little channel under there, and adding in foam. A hollow tinny vs. a densely foam packed tinny should make some difference. Either way, I think it is worth a shot.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Black and Mild = I like the cheap cigars just as much as the $$ ones;)

With pour in foam, just be sure to account for drainage from the sides to the centerline, then to the bilge and over the side:D

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Black and Mild = I like the cheap cigars just as much as the $$ ones;)

With pour in foam, just be sure to account for drainage from the sides to the centerline, then to the bilge and over the side:D

Me too bud. I like a good cigar here and there, but when Im fishin and it can get wet I bring el cheapos. And with the pour foam, what I have done in the past is taken some black foam hot water pipe insulation, cut it in half, and put it at the bottom of the channels. That allows a majority of the water to exit right on out of the bilge, instead of turning my closed cell foam into a waterlog mess.

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipe-Insulation/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbuy9/R-202318553/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051 Cheap and effective!!

64osby

Admiral

Love the Black and Milds. Wife hates them, or at least me having them, says they stink.

My .02. The foam will do nothing for the ride. It will help deaden the sound and help you float if you dunk it. You have a 16' tinny that's wide with a Merc 650. Your riding on the water, not in it, What are you drafting? The weight of your buddies helps the boat to ride deeper in the water. Try trimming the motor down. Maybe trim tabs would also help. Others here will know more than I do on trim.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Love the Black and Milds. Wife hates them, or at least me having them, says they stink.

My .02. The foam will do nothing for the ride. It will help deaden the sound and help you float if you dunk it. You have a 16' tinny that's wide with a Merc 650. Your riding on the water, not in it, What are you drafting? The weight of your buddies helps the boat to ride deeper in the water. Try trimming the motor down. Maybe trim tabs would also help. Others here will know more than I do on trim.

Man I guess I'm lucky 64. My wife loves the smell of the Black and Milds. And yes you are right, the boat only drafts 4" on the sides, and 8" or so in the middle. My dilemma is that I pull the boat with a Newer Honda CRV, and I get 18-20 MPG towing. The boat also planes out at 1/3 throttle, and I can cruise at 18MPH on plane, and burn 3GPH or less. So this boat is very economical in all ways. I know that I have made the sacrifice of comfort with it, but it is worth it to me. Just trying to take the "edge" off of the bashing that I take. Guess I could take some advil before we go out boating. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just don't let the glasser guys hear you talking like this, they may take you as easy pickens:eek: