2hp evinrude gear case re-seal question

Bknboat16

Cadet
1982 evinrude 2hp -- Have gear case apart , do you put any type of sealant on the outer surface of the new prop seal/gear case housing, same with shaft seal under water pump? Also is there supposed to be a gasket or sealant where gear case bolts to the exhaust housing? If there is what kind of sealant to use?

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
I'll field one question... and here I'm only mostly sure... generally between lower unit and exhaust housing there is no gasket on the outboards I have worked on...

BUT

I have never worked on a 2hp or anything smaller than 7.5hp Johnnyrude so the tiny ones may or may not be different.

The best option should no one who knows the answer pop in is.... " refer to the manual" and I mean no disrespect with that comment. If you own it a factory service manual is a must if you intend to do service on it yourself. Though some folks appear to get by with seloc I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Hope you get your answers soon.

Sean

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They used a gasket on some motors, on the early 25 HP as there was no water tube.-----And on some of V-4 models in the 1960's--So no need on that little 2 hp for sealer between lower and exhaust housing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No gasket. As for the seals O.D., it is ok to use some liquid gasket sealer of your choice such as permatex aviation.