28' Marinette (Aluminum) - Restoration

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 28' Marinette (Aluminum) - Restoration

I'm going along on this one. Been contemplating buying one w/twins

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Btw GT1000000, just call me when you're in the neighborhood. I'll give you the tour. The boat is curently at my house.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Rich,

you should PM the number

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer

I'd love to see more pics with all it's dirt and glory. Especially inside. There is a guy that put an out board bracket on one and I think he likes it. Im sure a search can locate him. If all the rigging on yours is toast it may be an option. Nice score and great luck too you!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh wow, big metal boat, awesome!!!

Love it Rich!!!

I was lusting after a Marinette or two over the past few years, good on ya for grabbing that one, super deal too:thumb:

What an awesome name for a boat>>>

attachment.php

I'll be along for the project if it's cool with you man:becky:

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jasoutside - Welcome aboard. I'm hoping to have it done for Spring Break.
Just kidding. The paint stripping is coming along pretty good. I'll post pictures soon.
This one is going to take a while.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Deck1-L.jpgDeck2-L.jpg
Pictures of the deck. I want to redo it with wood and epoxy using the same hardware. Somebody told me that the deck leaks at the hinges and water drips down on the engine. Any solutions or comments?

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Paint removal- Port - 2.0.jpgPitting with holes in stern.jpg
Paint removal update, Port side and holes found in the Lower transom stern.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully a big boat guy will come along and give you an idea of how sub deck engines are protected. Sorry man but I don't have any idea other than keeping the seems good distance away from them :noidea:

Wough baby that transom is a mess!:eek:

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not too worried. I have a few good marine welders in mind, in my area. This aluminum is either 5083 or 5086. I have completed the research yet.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Paint removal with helpers.JPG
A little more paint removal to start the day. With that smile, you know that they have not been informed of what their winter break will consist of.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

either 5083 or 5086 will work and are used almost interchangeably. 5052 is easier to form, however has a much lower strength.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not sure how you'd ever keep rain or splash water from running into an open style piano hinges along the entire long side of 1 of those panels.

But on another forum, it was suggested to bed the hinge on a piece of nautolex that's the full width of both sides of the hinge. It should be stout enough to survive cycling thru the hatch opening & closing since that won't be a 20 or 30 times a day occurrence. And will keep water from leaking out the bottom side of the hinge. It may cause standing water in the hinge, since it can't drain out. It's a trade off I guess.

If the engine isn't directly under the entire length of the hinge, I suppose you could leave a couple gaps in the nautolex that would allow any water that gets thru the hinge, somewhere to drip that isn't directly over the engine........

Same forum suggested that a manufactured hinge backer was sold by Defender some time ago that performs the same purpose as the nautolex. They didn't post a specific name or brand & I couldn't find anything like what they described at Defender....
There are plastic "hinges" that are made to fit under a piano hinge to insure watertitghtness. Defender carried them at one time. The last roll (I have a few feet left) I bought from Boiacelli and Mercury in S. San Francisco...

Wow, is right, that stern corner's a mess..... The other similar?
Good luck

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 219837View attachment 219838
Pictures of the deck. I want to redo it with wood and epoxy using the same hardware. Somebody told me that the deck leaks at the hinges and water drips down on the engine. Any solutions or comments?

Can you post pics of the area with the hatch open? There may have been 'gutters' laid across the opening under each hinge to either deflect water into the drain around the perimeter, or something on the back of the hatches performing the same purpose.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GWP SR - It's funny you mentioned that because that was my intended solution; a gutter under the hinges to capture the water leaking and redirecting it into bilge area. I'll go up and take some pictures.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On a positive note, the cockpit seats cleaned up fairly well. Cockpit seats.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member

Those seats look great, esp compared to the deck in your early pix today.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Oh man you found my dream :)

I also drive by a tin house boat on my way to work every day... :D

not just a project, it's retirement property ;)

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Have some pictures of the inside. The upholstery is in very good shape. We're going to clean her up on the inside today, in between paint removal sessions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer

That boat is in great shape considering its age and what you have into it. Fix the worst spots and run it.