270 outdrive questions

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I must say I am very impressed with all the knowledge on here. Here is my question?

I just aquired a 74 Glastron v-179 Starflight with the Volvo Penta 130 and the 270 Outdrive. I am having a steering problem. I was told I need to replace the shoulder bolt that goes through the steering helmet into the top of the drive. I got the boat with this missing. I have the shoulder bolt but when I further inspected the steering helmet, I realized that it was threaded. So I believe I am missing a bushing that threads into that hole in the steering helmet. I have attached pics that hopefully show what I am talking about. They are a bit blurry so you cant actually see the threads in the helmet but I think someone with experience will know what I am talking about.

Attachments

• yoke1.JPG
    yoke1.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • yoke2.JPG
    yoke2.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP5492.JPG
    IMGP5492.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 0

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 270 outdrive questions

Wow!,
Thanks for the response. Yeah. I moved the hemet back so you can see both holes. The bolt would slide though both but there are threads in the helmet.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you look at the link I posted (From here at iboats) you will see that item 13A is the bushing that screws into the helmet.

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is the picture of the shoulder bolt. Its labeled #76 on another diagram. I think its the wrong one.

Attachments

• shoulder bolt.JPG
    shoulder bolt.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Do you have 2 threaded holes in the drive where the helmet attaches? Yes or no?

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, Just one hole in the drive.

Don S

Does the thread on the pivot bolt you have pictured, fit the hole in the gear box? 1/2-13 thread?

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it fits into the threads but I am unsure what the thread size is.

Don S

If it fits, it's 1/2-13. So you need bushing #13, not 13a.
PN 814641

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, Thank you very kindly. I will take my bolt home and make 100% sure that it works. Then if it does I will need bushing #13.

Thanks again,

Kevin

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been talking with a guy at my local marina who saw the pictures and says that the helmet is the wrong one for my lower unit. He says that those bolts and bushings normally would work but the hole is too large in my helmet. I am working on getting serial numbers.

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sure there is a sticky on here somewhere but can someone tell me where I can get the serial numbers for my outdrive, transom assembly and my engine? I have looked pretty thoruoghly to no avail. I thought I had the right ones at the top of my drive unit but from what I am told thats the wrong number.

Kevin

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The serial number for your outdrive is on the plate on top of the gearbox. However, since the gearboxes are (for the most part) interchangeable, the one you have may not be the one that originally came with the outdrive. It's hard to tell after 30+ years. .

The motor serial number and model numbers should be on a plate just above and to the left of the starter.

I'm not sure about the transom plate. If there's anything, it would be near the brass colored label on the inside of the plate itself - the round part that houses the flywheel cover snout..

It's beginning to sound like you may have a steering helmet and gearbox from different era's.

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah that may be the case. So not only are these parts harder to come by, now may have different era parts. I think I have gotten to the bottom of it though. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a much clearer picture of the helmet. The guy at the marina thinks the bolt itself will work (without a bushing) but it seems I need a bushing that threads into the top of the helmet. I was also told #13 was the right busshing but its hard to tell.

Attachments

• shoulder bolt.JPG
    shoulder bolt.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • helmet12.JPG
    helmet12.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

Don S

There is only 2 bushings, and 13A is NOT the right one. It's for the top box with 2 threaded holes.
Get the bushing, don't even think about running without it. The helmet will be beat to death in a short time so you couldn't put a bushing in it.
Then you will be looking at a $400 part instead of a $20 part. Think about it.