270 outdrive clunk in and clunk out!

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have a 85 sunbird aq125 270 that when I go from 4000 rpm to idle rapidly the boat will clunk like the outdrive hit something and the boat will throw you forward a bit. Also now the boat waits to shift into forward and clunks when it does. I found a 275 for sale for farly cheap and was wondering if this would fit? If no then what repairs am i looking at? Would this all be from the intermediate gear box? I'm looking at doing the repairs this winter in my garage. Thanks in advance for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 270 outdrive clunk in and clunk out!

Is the drive not locking down correctly????????
Find the problem first, then figure out how to fix it and with what. You are going in half a dozen directions at the same time for no reason.

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I did some reading on the locking paws on the drive. I will check to see if its locking asap and repost. We are looking at snow coming and i plow so it might be a week. Thanks for the advice.

On a side note the drive should not be locked while in forward gear right? If i go from 4000 rpm to idle but still in gear the drive should be unlocked anyhow right?

havasuboatman

Ensign

You sholdn't be going from 4000 to idle. Slow gradually to idle, just like in a car.

captmello

Captain

Ok so I did some reading on the locking paws on the drive. I will check to see if its locking asap and repost. We are looking at snow coming and i plow so it might be a week. Thanks for the advice.

On a side note the drive should not be locked while in forward gear right? If i go from 4000 rpm to idle but still in gear the drive should be unlocked anyhow right?

The outdrive isn't "locked" in forward like it "locks" when put into reverse, however it should still be held in place by the retaining pawl and shouldn't allow the drive to kick up. What happens when you try to reverse?

Also now the boat waits to shift into forward and clunks when it does.

This could be an issue with the "Upper" gear box which serves as the transmission. Have you checked the fluid level? What's your history with this boat? New to you? Has it ever shifted correctly?

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice

I never had somebody put it in reverse while I was watching it so im not sure. It doesnt buck the boat or anything it just feels normal. History with the boat is it did the bump when going to idle thing since day one when i bought it last year. I did replace the shift cable im hopeing correctly right after my first time out. Then twards the end of the season last year is started the not going into forward and then clunk into gear sometime after reving it some. I have no way of putting it in the water right now but i will check to see the fluid leval i'm assuming this would be the plugs on the side of the outdrive with the gear oil in it?

captmello

Captain

I never had somebody put it in reverse while I was watching it so im not sure. It doesnt buck the boat or anything it just feels normal.

So the boat reverses fine?

If the boat outdrive isn't kicking up, I don't know what would cause the bump except a shift in the upper. Shouldn't throw you around in the boat though.

I guess you take it a step at a time.

Check to make sure the Pawl is working
Check fluid at the dipstick on top of the drive. May as well just drain it, See what it looks like.
remove shift cover and confirm the outdrive is shifting. Disconnect cable, shift asssembly should shift by hand into forward and reverse.
Remove upper gear box and see what you find.

Download a manual from the adults only sticky at the top for your engine and outdrive.

Let us know what you find.:)

cr2k

Captain

I would also recheck the shift cable adjustment, once you read the manual.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I'd have to chime in on the cable adjustment and attachment issue. Getting up to 4000 rpm and then shifting into gear sounds like really bad cable adjustment or like something holding the cable is loose. The same thing going the other way, backing down and then the clunk and jerk forward sounds like it's coming out of gear early.

I'd be inclined to have someone move the shift lever while you observe the shift cable and shoe. Check all of the mechanical attachment points. Pay particular attention to the cable attachment bracket on the front of the drive.

Hope you're recovering from the snow. I know what it's like to be out 30-40 hours in the plow truck with only a few catnaps, some quick sandwiches, and coffee keeping you going.

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so it turns out you guys were right on. It was the drive being low on oil. Shifts great now.