225HP Ficht Knock

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 225HP Ficht Knock

I have sold over 50 of these units(dealer) and have only had 1 come back and they shipped a replacement overnite for customer. I cannot buy the parts and charge labor to rebuild a lower unit or sterndrive unit for what they sell it for.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

There shouldn't be detectable chunks. I would open it an see what the damage extent is. Never bought from these people, but they have what appears to be a new LU at a very good price. Maybe some others on the forum may have experience with SEI.
http://sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/merc...-306-B&Category_Code=JohnsonEvinrudeLowerUnit

Okay....you're right it was a small pebble. I just saw it covered in the oil and assumed it was, but there are shavings. Wow that is a good price. Say anyone know what uppershaft I would have to buy with this unit in order to fit my engine? Or do I even have to buy one with the new unit? Thanks for the referral!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yours will fit if its needed, you will need to have driveshaft removed with tool and it just snaps back in. Small metallic particles are normal in oil, you should be able to rub the ol between you fingers and not feel any of the partiles, if you can lower needs checked. Fichts are bad about chipping teeth in lower unit on boats equiped with hot foots.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

Yours will fit if its needed, you will need to have driveshaft removed with tool and it just snaps back in. Small metallic particles are normal in oil, you should be able to rub the ol between you fingers and not feel any of the partiles, if you can lower needs checked. Fichts are bad about chipping teeth in lower unit on boats equiped with hot foots.

Well, unfortunately I don't have a hot foot installed although I was thinking about it for next spring. What would rattle in the LU? The gears for the driveshaft? Thanks Faztbullet!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Both could rattle in the LU. I would guess that something cause the bearings to begin to fail, or you had a gear beginning to give up and a tooth has chipped off and started creating havoc inside, terring up more gears and getting louder and louder...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check the oil as posted, if you can feel the metal in the oil the gears are damaged. You should have the 2 bolt carrier lower unit ,just remove the prop, 2 bolts that hold carrier in place and some units have a wedge at the 9 oclock positon inside carrier, remove these bolts and remove carrier to inspect gears.