22' Islander rebuild

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats Piper, my 3 yr. old German Shorthair.She is my companion in the shop when she isn't chasing squirrels away from the bird feeder.Or anything else that moves!

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Progress report for today. Built the rear seat boxes and set some old seats on them for mock up. Also built motor cover and set that in place,looks pretty good to me.I think I will hinge the seat boxes to flip forward for access behind them. Along with the doghouse.DSCF0080.JPG

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Looking good. Keep up the hard work!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Progress report for today. Built the rear seat boxes and set some old seats on them for mock up. Also built motor cover and set that in place,looks pretty good to me.I think I will hinge the seat boxes to flip forward for access behind them. Along with the doghouse.View attachment 331659
Looking Good!!!

Besides just being able to pull the doghouse forward for work underneath, any thoughts on making it removable for maintenance at the house?

SHSU

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Made some progress today.Finished the doghouse and top for it. Laid the vinyl on the floor and got it cut to fit.Did not glue it down yet, but it is ready to go.Debating on building side panels or just cutting new rod holders as were there before.

Attachments

• DSCF0083.JPG
    DSCF0083.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0084.JPG
    DSCF0084.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0085.JPG
    DSCF0085.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0086.JPG
    DSCF0086.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I couldn't decide if I wanted the rod holders to stay or put side panels on the sides of the boat.How about a half panel and leave the rod holders in place? It is a fishing boat after all. So I built the panels and covered them in marine vinyl and cut out new rod holders and painted them.They will fit in the brackets to the rear of the side panels.

Attachments

• DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • DSCF0087.JPG
    DSCF0087.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No work on the boat today. Son in law cut and delivered a trailer load of dead ash firewood!Whatta guy.We went for a ride to Linwood to check out the ice on the Saginaw Bay.We may get to ice fish the bay this year!4 to 6"out 1/2 mile or more.Hope the cold temps stick around!

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My favorite red,white ,and blue truck was here [Fed-Ex] dropped of new seat pedestals.We have 3 to 4" of snow coming tonite so after snowplowing in the morning,I will spend the day in the shop.Will take some pictures tomorrow.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are a couple of pictures of todays labors,while the wind blew and the snow flew.

Attachments

• DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0090.JPG
    DSCF0090.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

SHSU

Is that the original door to the front cuddy? Do you have a toilet up in there or just "bedding" area?

SHSU

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if the door is original,but it was in the boat when I bought it.
There is a compartment for a pota-a potty in addition to the "beds" up front.
My 19v has a wooden bifold door to cuddy which I am sure was original.
The aluminum door on the 22' seems factory as far as fit and finish.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Called my Grandson Parker today and gave him my 18' mariner.Talk about a happy guy!He came over and we installed a Lowrance fishfinder and went over starting procedure on the 850 Merc. Put a battery on the trolling motor and went over the controls. He loves to fish and hunt.Great kid

Attachments

• DSCN0097.jpg
    DSCN0097.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN0098.jpg
    DSCN0098.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN0099.jpg
    DSCN0099.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Called my Grandson Parker today and gave him my 18' mariner.Talk about a happy guy!He came over and we installed a Lowrance fishfinder and went over starting procedure on the 850 Merc. Put a battery on the trolling motor and went over the controls. He loves to fish and hunt.Great kid
Very nice

SHSU

If you want another grandkid I am available!!!! LOL

Very nice, a lot of memories to be made.

SHSU

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the offer? ,but we have an even dozen now and everybody knows 13 is unlucky.Yes lotsa memories to be made.He is a great kid with a huge heart.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Really awesome you got to give your other boat to your grandson. I know what that will mean to him.

On a funny note, give a kid a boat and they will be too broke to get into any trouble!!

MNhunter1

Ensign

Looks like a side console conversion in the pics? How well does the 850 Merc move that 18' hull around?

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes on the side conversion ,it was a bare hull when I bought it. Love that old Merc.Would do 32 33 with me and my fishing buddy on flat water.It would jump on plane and run nice and flat.great handleing boat,but a little thirsty!!

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Parker and I went ice fishing on Saginaw Bay yesterday.No fish caught but good solid ice out a mile and one half.WE have plans for next week for more fishing .
Big brown truck dropped off my new seats for the Islander.Blue,gray and white.They look sharp,will post pics when installed,camera battery is doa.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a phone call from the guy who bought the 18'holiday from me last summer.I told him I was redoing an Islander. He said send him pics,and just like that he said,I want it !We went for a sea trial saturday and the Islander now has a new owner.The lower shift cable gave us some problems but the boat ran well and was dry after 1 and 1/2 hours on the water.Cable is on order and should be here tuesday.I took the Holiday on trade and will sell that.Now the hunt begins for a new project boat!