22' Islander rebuild

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't wait to try it out! We fished the Saginaw river until season closed last year for walleye. Not enough ice on the bay for ice fishing last year.Hope we get some this year!

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much progress this wknd,though I did get my vinyl. I installed a new bilge pump and auto switch.Why does everyone run wireing all over their boat and not clean out the old s....t.A nice fused bus bar and good ground bar tied to the battery instead of a dozen of those blue scotchlocks.I hate those things!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I ran wire all over, but did it for peace of mind that one thing wouldn't kill the whole system. Otherwise, I get what you are saying and agree a lot of bad methods.

SHSU

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I did both. Ran wire everywhere using connectors in some places but also made my own busbar as well.

To each their own, I say. ;)

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
But did you tie your fishfinder to your hot lead on your nav lights with a scotchlock or your compass lite to your windshield wiper lead?How about bypassing the circuit breaker for your blower motor WITH A SCOTCH LOCK? I don't think so,my point being some people just grab power from what ever is handy to power accessories or solve a .bad or loose connection.

SHSU

But did you tie your fishfinder to your hot lead on your nav lights with a scotchlock or your compass lite to your windshield wiper lead?How about bypassing the circuit breaker for your blower motor WITH A SCOTCH LOCK? I don't think so,my point being some people just grab power from what ever is handy to power accessories or solve a .bad or loose connection.

What???? You aren't supposed to do that????

LOL, things we find when redoing a boat from a PO that only wanted a quick fix and didn't care. Glad you are doing it right.

SHSU

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone.Hope Santa brings all those boat parts you guys are waiting for!
Merry Christmas sidingguy!

Tight lines in 2021 ...on the ol' Sagnasty!

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Grandson Parker came over tuesday and helped me buck rivets. After he left I gave the hull the leak test and marked some new leaks.Parker came over thursday am and we got these leakers fixed.I have one bad rivet that needs replaced and will do that after Christmas is over.Yahoo,now I can get started putting floor panels in and riveted down.P.S got new bilge pump installed also.

SHSU

You going to use Gluvit or similar before the floor is installed?

SHSU

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No on the gluvit,all the seams are good . It was just loose rivets and cracked brackets on the sides from rotten floors and cabin bulkheads.

DCampbell

Seaman
I agree with you on the wiring . Mine is a mess ! I dont know how anyone could do any problem solving in an emergency with all the wires looking like a spider web, labels people labels, lol. I am doing an Islander as well and I am a fan of that oil based porch paint. That old battleship grey stuff. i am thinking about not putting anything else down but the paint. easy to touch up, lol. looks good . Im gonna try to go to school on your build.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...oil based porch paint. That old battleship grey stuff. i am thinking about not putting anything else down but the paint. easy to touch up, lol. looks good...
That's exactly what I used. Great stuff. Very tough and super easy to touch up. I also added a little Rustoleum Anti-Skid additive to give it a bit more traction. (y) šŸ˜Ž

SHSU

No on the gluvit,all the seams are good . It was just loose rivets and cracked brackets on the sides from rotten floors and cabin bulkheads.

Your build/your decision, but if you have it apart now its cheap "insurance" to help prevent any future leaks.

Just my 2 cents

SHSU

DCampbell

Seaman
Your build/your decision, but if you have it apart now its cheap "insurance" to help prevent any future leaks.

Just my 2 cents

SHSU
I used gluvit my last starcraft build, I loved that stuff. cheap peace of mind for me .

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took some photos of my progress today. Replaced the worn out carpet on the dash with 1/2 " solid vinyl.It covers all the holes that have been drilled thru it over the years.Installed 2 led lites ,one in the cabin and 1 on the transomunder the rear gunwale.Plywood is cut for gas tank area and small locker behind it.Last picture is my GSP,she needs a job!LOL

Attachments

• DSCF0074.JPG
    DSCF0074.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0076.JPG
    DSCF0076.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0077.JPG
    DSCF0077.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0078.JPG
    DSCF0078.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

DCampbell

Seaman
Dash looks great ! WoW there is just something about a new fresh boat floor to make you feel warm and fuzzy ! I cant wait to get to that stage, lol. Congrats. Were those two metal strips along the plywood covering the gas tank there stock ? my piece was missing previously , I am wondering if mine are missing ?

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, the original floor covered the tank completely.I wanted to access the tank if it should develope a leak so I made that panel removable .The aluminum you see in the photo is a T shaped moulding I picked up at the local flooring store.I will screw this down after I install my flooring.

SHSU

Sweet looking floors. You could finish it with just what you have now!

Love the pup "supervising" the work.

SHSU