22 Grady White with i/o mercruiser 165 shifting problem

22Gradywhite

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Messages
2
Hello Again all,

I got my 165 straight 6 mercruiser running after having manifold problems. Before i sea trial it i tried running it in the yard with muffs attached to see how it went. Boat goes into forward no problem at all but seems to be having trouble with reverse. I have heard when the motor is not running you can check to see if the shift cables are linned up by putting it into forward and if the propeller spins counter clock wise. If it locks then its good. and the exact opposite for reverse if it locks up going clockwise its all good, but when the shift lever is in reverse it seems to only be half in. It wont fully lock going clockwise it goes click click click seems to want to lock but not all the way. I have heard of there being shift adjustments being made to the cables in the back by the motor, Is this true? Is there a way to adjust these cables so it locks and fully engages into reverse? Any ideas about what i have going on or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
 

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
5,346
Re: 22 Grady White with i/o mercruiser 165 shifting problem

what outdrive? alpha 1? gen one?

more than likely an mc-1, i don't think merc ever put the 165 6 in front of an r/mr or alpha one

to op - try shifting it with the engine running in the water, you can still do the adjustments if need be
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: 22 Grady White with i/o mercruiser 165 shifting problem

Ayuh,.... My guess is, the lower shift cable housing is worn, 'n it needs Replacin'....
 

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Joined
May 15, 2002
Messages
3,997
Re: 22 Grady White with i/o mercruiser 165 shifting problem

Do you have a manual?
I would remove the end of the lower shift cable from inside the boat and see how it moves.........
If it moves easily/smoothly I'd try to adjust it, if not replace it.

You really need a manual to make those adjustments......too hard to try and explain it I think.

FWIW.......I would not try to adjust this w/ the boat in the water.
 
Top