22' and got 18.4mph, good??

rhino_160

Seaman
2010 Manitou Oasis 22' pontoon with 2011 Suzuki 70 fuel injected. Took it out and with GPS, 4 adults, and standard equipment I got 18.4 mph. That about the best I am going to get?

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 22' and got 18.4mph, good??

Sounds close to me...

What kind of RPM are you turning at that speed?
What speed and RPM do you run if solo?

rhino_160

Seaman

I am taking it back out in a week and will see what WOT is

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am taking it back out in a week and will see what WOT is

Sorry, I meant to ask what RPM at WOT.

Check the specs on your motor and make sure you are turning near the top of RPM range. If not a prop adjustment may be in order.

4400 sounds low if that was wide open. What size prop are you running?

This may turn into a prop question and get better results under that heading. Until then give us more feedback and lets see what you can get out of her!

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

WAY too low, I'd shoot for the 5500-6000rpm range with a light load and that motor. I'm thinking a 14x13 aluminum or 14x12 stainless (I think suzuki stainless are even numbered pitches)

ahicks

Captain

Too low would be my guess as well.
I just got my first 4 stroke not too long ago (a 50hp Honda) and was not used to it at all (quiet!). Testing it out, mine was showing a similar rpm at WOT. Concerned, and hoping for maybe a little more speed as well as a happier engine, I looked into it further. Turns out the GPS speed it was running was about what it should run (high teens), and the prop on it commonly used for this application. The problem turned out to be an improperly installed tachometer! An online search for the installation directions showed there were several options to select the engine the tach was to be used with, and it had been set up incorrectly for use with this Honda! FWIW, -Al