21' McKee Craft Inboard/Outboard OMC Resto

thesmiz

Cadet
First off, I bought this boat, which currently looks a mess but is solid. It was, as I understand it, one of very few commissioned by state or federal entities. This one ended up with the state of NC and was auctioned as surplus. The Previous owner had an asphalt company and had his garage restore the hull and rebuild the engine, a 120 OMC I/O. The engine has around 100 hrs on the rebuild done in the early 2000's. The previous restoration is toast as far as paint goes, but the structure is solid. After they moved it sat covered. It sits on the original Cox trailer that needs total restoration as well.

What is this boat??? What is it called?? Is it just a custom Mckee?

ILove it. It is a gem. Its NC and maritime history and I cannot wait for it to ride again.

thesmiz

Cadet
Look in my profile albums for pics. I can't figure out how to post here.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You need a minimum of 3 posts before you can post pics. The OLD OMC's are not very desirable due to parts getting scarce and no one want to work on them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nothing special about a 120hp OMC other than parts are getting scarce for the drive

thesmiz

Cadet
Brother, it ain't the OMC I bought it for. This is a McKee craft I/O. Maybe they are special to me because I'm a North Carolinian, but there were so very few I/O versions of these boats made that you won't find another. McKee made a fantastic boat. And OMC parts are only hard to find if you dont know where to look.

thesmiz

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo291865.jpg
    photo291865.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 0
  • photo291866.jpg
    photo291866.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That should be a nice boat for off shore fishing. If you're OK with the power plant and outdrive then "Git er Dun!!!!"

thesmiz

Cadet
I dont know if I am or not. It only has ~100 hrs on rebuild, but it sat for a while and he used to start it on the regular until one of the spark plugs rung off. Steering is locked up at the outdrive. The cable is fine. Needs a new ignition switch. Boat is structurally good, but may need some cutting of my core samples of foam and camera show me unpleasant things. I have a Wellcraft Fisherman 18 in line before this old girl though, and I'm working on both at the same time now because I can't help it.

I have a V6 Mercruiser I could drop in here, but I'm a purist. Should I ditch the OMC in your opinion?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMHO, if you want a dependable power plant, the OMC should not be used. This means, of course, that the transom will need to be totally redone to accommodate the Merc outdrive configuration. It's NO FUN being in the middle of a lake with NO POWER!!;)

thesmiz

Cadet
It's got a new outdrive on it! I've sold two of these stringers and they were good engines, but like anything I reckon it's a shot in the dark. I flip boats more than I keep them, but I dont sell garbage. Thus far, my Merc in my back pocket is an option I'm willing to consider, but this means new instrument panels, steering, etc. Lots of $$$

thesmiz

Cadet
Right now, I'm focused on getting her power washed and wrapped and sealed w/ a dehumidifier for a little bit. I do this with boats that I acquire and open all hatches, bilge, etc yo dry them out before doing epoxy injection or total tear down. I wrap in a heavy tarp and seal with gorilla tape...run outlet hose from dehumidifier out transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good luck with drying out a wet boat. Maybe You've had good results but very few have. Once wood components get wet, the only good method is to replace them. Epoxy injection is not one of my favorite techniques either. Just a quick temporary fix the delays the inevitable.