20y old Bravo 3 Broken plastic nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe1048

Cadet
It took some time installing that new brass nipple into the old plastic through hull valve but I got it done. The new brass fitting appears to be secure with numerous coats of marine tex I'm giving it ample time to dry before replacing the reservoir extension line to the outdrive. Would anyone know what the correct length of that tube is I don't want it binding when the unit is lowered. I'm unable to down load pictures on this sight.

Fun Times

Staff member
Did you go from a plastic fitting Merc part number 22-861150T02 to the brass fitting Merc part number 22-18922 ?

The designs are different (machining change) and weren't designed to interchange really and could leak...That mentioned, it sounds like you adapted to the change with Marine Tex? http://boatinfo.no/lib/bulletins.html#mercruiser-service-1998_12

This parts guide happens to mention a hose size to cut for both in-side and out-side the boat.:cool:
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30973/5398/240
732-8M0040618HOSE, (54.00 Inches Bulk) (Cut to 9.5 Inches and 36 Inches)1940971SS/ACT
magnify.gif
$24.25$23.82

joe1048

Cadet
Thank you for the come back, but there is a misunderstanding as how tackled this problem. The plastic nipple snapped inside the hose what was left was a little plastic nib at the end of the valve. I took a 1/4 brass hose barb soldered in a brass ferrel at the opposite end. The ferrel brass end was then slipped into the snapped end of the valve I then mended the connection with multiple coatings of Maine -Tex. building it up so when I install the new hose on the barb it will not snap under installation pressure. I plan on lightly heating the hose first applying liquid detergent soap and using a the special hose line zip tie. I wish I could have sent you pictures but they will not down load from my apple computer. it was a very time consuming project but I think it will work. I have the bulk hose but it would help to know the exact length.

Status
Not open for further replies.