2020 Ranger towing?

matt167

Captain
I've put off buying a newer truck for a while, partly because my truck ( tired old1995 F250 ) was still drivable, but also because my girlfriend told me I couldn't... But yesterday my truck basically lost its brakes today , and I got the ok from her to obtain a reasonably priced truck..

Local Ford dealer has been sitting on a new '20 Ranger XL 4x4 for a couple months now and they just dropped the price + really good incentives and trade assistance. It's base model but 4x4 and tow package, OTD would be around $30k.. If I do something it has to be within the time that she has agreed to me getting a vehicle before thinking about it and my first day back to work after the weekend, which leaves tomorrow 1/8 to decide if I want this truck or not.... How do they tow? I've got a Starcraft Offshore V 18 I/O and my 16' Chugger which might weigh a bit more than the V 18

matt167

Captain
The max capacity with the towing package is 7,500 lbs but that is full frontal sq/ft limited ( no campers basically ). Without the pkg, it's 3,500.. This is a turbocharged 2.3L with a 10spd auto. My current truck, when it was all running right towed the big boat 'ok' and it was rated for 5,000

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just remember, a lot of vehicles can easily tow whatever you want, up to their listed limit. But you have to remember that you also have to be able to stop! That is where the real capability lies. Even a low HP engine can eventually get things moving, but get they towing to stop is the real question... I would be more concerned about the braking capabilities, then anything else... JMHO

Alumarine

Captain
Just remember, a lot of vehicles can easily tow whatever you want, up to their listed limit. But you have to remember that you also have to be able to stop! That is where the real capability lies. Even a low HP engine can eventually get things moving, but get they towing to stop is the real question... I would be more concerned about the braking capabilities, then anything else... JMHO
Brakes on the trailer should help with the stopping.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’m guessing there is a reason why it’s still on the lot.

While the V6, 3.5 and 2.7 turbos are pulling animals, the 2.3 turbo is a 4 cylinder. No where near the low end torque and HP of the V6 turbos.

Also keep in mind that there is more than one tow package, at least on the F150.

Understand what package is on the truck and what implications it has on towing capabilities. Getting to max tow capacity often requires more than just a “tow package”. I had to get max payload option on top of the tow package to get max towing capacity in my F150

Last edited:

topgun3690

Ensign
"but also because my girlfriend told me I couldn't..." got the ok from her to obtain a reasonably priced truck.." If I do something it has to be within the time that she has agreed to" Come on, Man!! LOL

Come on, Man!! LOL
I was thinking the same thing. I discuss everything with my wife (ad nauseum) but a girlfriend better have put a ring on my finger to weigh in on my finances!

It's been almost 15 years, but I had a 2006 and then 2007 Ford Ranger. Both were the V6 motors with tow packages. Both towed my 16ft Alumacraft with a 90hp fine, but the truck's narrow stance meant that I couldn't see around the boat without side mirror extensions. I also felt the weight of the boat when I towed. When I went back to full size with an F150 and now Ram 1500, I can't even tell that my boat & trailer are there. No problems seeing around it.

Those Rangers towed my rig constantly on the 500 mile roundtrip to my cabin. They can probably tow yours too, but you will notice that it is there meaning that they are towing towards their capacity.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like a nice truck and a good price. But I personally wouldn’t tow with a 4 cylinder engine even though it is turbocharged. Go with a V6 or V8 for towing.
The primary determining factor as to what truck/tow vehicle to get is the total weight of your boat and trailer (loaded with equipment and fuel). So how much does your boat and trailer weigh loaded?

matt167

Captain
The truck is a base model, in bright red which is likely why it's stuck on the lot. I have owned 3 Rangers in the past but they were the older ones, where the '19+ is the global Ranger that was originally released for the Australian market.. There is only one tow package on a Ranger

As far as my GF, were actually engaged, but we have combined our finances for years, and helped eachother through tough times. Now that things have been good for a while, I know she is just thinking ahead

Krazeehorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure you have the hubs locked in (if they're manual) when you are on the ramp.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The truck is a base model, in bright red which is likely why it's stuck on the lot. I have owned 3 Rangers in the past but they were the older ones, where the '19+ is the global Ranger that was originally released for the Australian market.. There is only one tow package on a Ranger

As far as my GF, were actually engaged, but we have combined our finances for years, and helped eachother through tough times. Now that things have been good for a while, I know she is just thinking ahead
You do know that red trucks and cars go faster then any other color don't you... lol

matt167

Captain
I tried to deal on that truck, trading in my 1995 F250 for the trade assistance but I think they labeled me as a schmuck. Said they would just run the paperwork on Monday and give me a call, while there were crickets in the dealership on Saturday, basically kicking me out. Never got a call either... I've had 2 bright red Rangers and it's really not my color, and I'm certainly not going to reward them.. After talking with a few people who know that dealership, it's how they roll.

Probably going to pick up a nice blue one from a different dealer today. Looking on the Ford truck forums and people towing, I'm confident it can do what it needs to. 99% of the time I'd be driving to work and back, 16 miles per day

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
matt167 my opinion if you live in any place that is not really flat land no 4 cylinder i would strongly suggest a brake job till i could get a full size truck and i respect you and your girlfriend for what sounds like a great relationship many blessings

matt167

Captain
I actually bought a 2021 Ranger, forgot to update this.. The old truck needs a lot more than brakes, although I was able to keep it due to the dealer providing in house discounts, I pulled it off the road for now. I asked the local bodyshop what he thought about his and towing., and he tows a small camper that weighs more than anything I'll tow and is happy with it... The F250 used to actually struggle to tow the Starcraft as it was a 302 5spd with a 3.55 axle. Ford only rated it to tow 5k lbs and with an engine that was pretty down on power, it really felt it... As for the GF, kinda forced her to take over more of her bills since it was either spend thousands on the truck that wasn't worth it out of pocket or spend more thousands on a truck and finance most of it, but not worry about it for quite a while.

matt167

Captain
Yeah, my buddy at the body shop said mpg goes down quite a bit but it handles it fine. He tows about 5k lbs.. I do have to trailer 150 miles to get to the waters that I like ( Fingerlakes area ) but this is a few times per year.. 99% of the time/ miles this truck will go is going to be just unloaded work and back