2016 Mercruiser 6.2 ECT - long beep every few minutes???

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately it's normal here, due to high humidity, damp climate, etc. Mold on north east facing house roofs and fences is a big problem, however, one thing that is very rare here, is wildfires. Just too damp & humid most years.
If the boat sank or partially sank in salt water, the amount of rust would be very noticable, basically anything made of steel or cast iron would have a lot of visible corrosion, and depending on how flooded the bilge got, a number of things would not be working.
During the season, you're at a dock or on a mooring like I am surrounded by salt air. It is common to find oxidized fuses, and connections pretty much anywhere. Paradoxically the boat is less damp inside during the season, due to the fact that it is more in the sun than when it's stored in my driveway.
And due to very high property values and real estate taxes, very few boats are stored inside, they are all wrapped, shrink wrapped and left outside. So climate controlled storage is practically unheard of here. The only thing you can do is ventilate the cover, use moisture buckets, etc anything to increase air circulation and dry out the air.
I think in the upper Midwest, your winters are colder and dryer than what we have here. Ours are not so cold, but more damp.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is the wiring diagram (from my service manual) for the engine and associated controls . .
IMG_3477.JPG
Looks pretty simple :ROFLMAO:

Actually, there are a few places where I can be checking for voltage and proper ground connectivity. The 'PCM Clean Power' (Red/Blk + Blk) feeds the Pin A4 on the C-pocket of the PCM and The H/P resistors and the 14-pin engine connector. There is also a voltage source from the 50-amp CB.

3 grounds . . . PCM ground (Blk/Wht), Chassis Ground (Blk), and the Clean Power Ground (Blk)

I am not sure which voltage source the Diacom is calling the 'Batt voltage' the C-A4 pin is wired to the 'PCM clean power' connector per this diagram and may be what the Diacom is calling system voltage (which has been 1-for-1 with the measured voltage from the starboard battery).

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could be chasing a ghost where the onboard (ECM) sensing circuit has a bad component

tpenfield

Staff member
you could be chasing a ghost where the onboard (ECM) sensing circuit has a bad component
Yes, I could be. However, if I can verify that the voltage sources and the grounds are all as good as they can be, then it would tend to point to the sensing circuitry within the PCM.

tpenfield

Staff member
Since I ā€˜exercisedā€™ the clean power CB, the voltage has been better. Maybe not perfect, but better.

I did find the clean power connection on the engine and it appears to lead back to the starboard power panel. I will need to unbutton a bunch of tywraps to trace it out for sure.

I think I will replace the CB labeled ā€˜clean powerā€™ since it got some moisture exposure, not having the cap.

It is hard to find enough time in between outings on the boat to chase down the wiring.

In other news, I put the accessory battery on the solar charging circuit with the Inverter batteries for now. Pending a second isolator for the solar charging system.

We will be using the boat today, so Iā€™ll keep a batting average on VesselViewā€™OKā€™ vs. ā€˜Warningsā€™.

tpenfield

Staff member
Alright . . . Not sure how to score this one.

Voltage warning came up upon starting the Starboard engine. Then after a minute changed to OK.

Maybe 50/50 ?:rolleyes:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
. I will need to unbutton a bunch of tywraps to trace it out for sure.
Or disconnect both ends and put an ohm meter lead on each end...
Alright . . . Not sure how to score this one.

Voltage warning came up upon starting the Starboard engine. Then after a minute changed to OK.

Maybe 50/50 ?:rolleyes:
Nah, that's a win. Maybe even bonus points when a problem fixes itself.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
BTW - is the PCM112 made by a company called "Woodward"

https://www.woodward.com/en/shop/woodward44-industrial-engines/8923-2341

That's where I an finding some technical info on the PCM.
Makes sence. Woodward makes governor modules when the motors are used as powergeneration.

its been a long time, I doubt any of my old woodward contacts from 17 years ago are still around. will dig into the stack of business contacts (old-school book of business cards) tomorrow

tpenfield

Staff member
3 out of 4 'System OK' today. . . So things are working themselves out (somehow). Still some work to go.

tpenfield

Staff member
I still frequent the Formula 330 SS group on FB. Yesterday there was a post about the same type of warning I've been getting (Critical Low Voltage - return to port for more beer) (oh, I made that last part up :ROFLMAO: ).

Anyway, the person found that the 'Acc' (i.e. Accessory) breaker had been tripped. He reset it and the voltage warning went away. To me that indicated that part of the system was/is powered from the accessory circuit. Of course, knowing the Formula 330, as I do, there is a single electrical system (source) on most of those boats - dual battery though. So, I'm wondering if there is a second source wired on my boat that the engine 'system' does not like.

The 'kids' have some of their college friends coming this weekend, so we shall see how the boat does. Afterward, I might pull the boat out for some mid-season maintenance, giving me more time to go through the electrical.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
3 for 3 today on 'System OK' today. . . , but I don't want to jinks it :unsure:

I think the accessory battery likes the help of the Inverter battery bank, and that is also helpful doing the sandbar thing with tunes going, etc.

My next challenge is getting the Joystick calibration sort out. I went for fuel and a waste tank pump out this morning, and the joystick was really throwing fits. It seems to like to go backwards most of the time, not reflecting to stick movement.

tpenfield

Staff member
I went something like 8 for 8 today . . . (y)

Also figured out how to get the steering angle indicator working, which has been a great help around the dock.

Since the joystick is not calibrated, I am using old school approach, now that I can see where the steering is at.

IMG_3515.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - the Steering Angle sensing needed to be set to the source of 'TVM' instead of the various 'PCM' options. Then it started working. :LOL:

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
The starboard engine keeps finding things to complain about . . .
IMG_3592.JPG

Not sure what or why . . . but after reaching the harbor the warning went away and the engine status when back to OK all by itself.

I was out in the bay (went to get fuel) and maybe the starboard engine thought we were lost. :ROFLMAO:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Did you name them Fred and Ethel? Or Don Ameche and Frances Langford.... :)

tpenfield

Staff member
So, the 'compass' within the smartcraft (or whatever) does not like bouncy rides. 1-2 foot seas is about all that it can take. Any more (which is most times) it has a compass warning that clears as soon as we get to calmer waters.