2013 Nitro z7 hull hook

Lvcrxrcr

Recruit
I purchased a Nitro z7 with a 150hp 4 stroke last week. Last night I read about hull hook and went to check mine out. There are forum posts about people not being able to get up on pad with hull hook, and that nitro had warrantied this problem by replacing hulls. I am not in warranty since i just bought it used. I am afraid to take it out because it might eliminate any chance I have to returning the boat to Tracker Marine Center where I bought it.

I measured with a straight edge, and the hook is 1/2" at 25 1/2" from the transom towards the bow, on the first strake just outside of the first bunk. The pad is straight. These images are just outside the first bunk.

Im calculating 1.123 degree angle. Does anyone know if my 150HP 4 stroke mercury will get that up on pad? Is that an acceptable amount of hook?

Attachments

• IMG20231213234221.jpg
    IMG20231213234221.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG20231213234415.jpg
    IMG20231213234415.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG20231213234507.jpg
    IMG20231213234507.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

Lvcrxrcr

Recruit
I might take it back in the morning. Just wondering if this an "acceptable" amount or if this much is actually built in....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its not built in. pic #3 shows how serious it is.

Lvcrxrcr

Recruit
Just an update on the situation:

I ended up taking it back to Bass Pro / Tracker marine. Went into the mechanic's shop first. Showed the mechanic that it is pretty significant, i put a finger between the bunk and the hull. The mechanic asked me if I know what hull hook does, and thanks to these forums and all the knowledgeable people in previous posts, I explained exactly what it does. He asked me how do i know if I haven't driven the boat? And I explained that I have read about many instances of this boat of the same model and years with the same exact issue with the same amount of hook, where their boat wont get up on the pad and only go 42-53 mph with 150 hp, and that Nitro in the past replaced their hulls under warranty.

Spoke with their sales manager and explained again, then the manager with the mechanics. One mechanic said "im only concerned with the pad, not the rest of the hull, because that's where the boat rides." I explained twice to him that in almost all of these cases that the boat cant get up on the pad because of the hull hook.

GM and mechanics said to leave the boat with them, and they will get with corporate and see what they wanted to do. I told them I love everything about that boat EXCEPT for that one problem, and I would be willing to work with them to maybe find another boat through them.

Now I'm just waiting on the outcome.

TLDR; Left the boat at bass pro, they are going to examine it, and the fact that I didn't even take it off the trailer yet works to my favor. No promises from them yet.

While i was there, i took a picture of a new z19 hull from the back. Different design, and perfectly straight!
1702606465907.png

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
not sure if its that hull but i remember something about a bass boat manifacture doing this purposly so it acted like a trim tab does, again not sure if thats your hull or not

Lvcrxrcr

Recruit
Good news. They are taking the boat back. Bass Pro did good by me.

Lesson learned to add bringing a straight edge with me when buying a used boat. I'll add that to my list of 20 or so things to check.