2013 350HP Yamaha Fuel Slick when run and when flushed

RvParagon

Cadet
I have a boat that I run for work. I am down and can't run it for regulation reasons because the port engine is producing a slick of unburned fuel. It is not a lot of fuel but even the small amount creates a highly visible slick that has shut my operation down. I have been trouble shooting for a few days and I am stumped, so is my local mechanic, and even Yamaha. Here are the clues:

• 2013 350HP Yamaha F350XCB (pair, port engine is the one creating the slick)
  • Engine performance excellent
  • Smell a little raw fuel from exhaust
  • Slick produced by bubbles coming up from exhaust coming out of hub. Can see the fuel slick produced behind boat at idle speed as bubbles hit surface (see attached photo)
  • Also get slick when flushing engine- presumably flushing out unburned fuel from exhaust
  • I put an oil boom around the engines and when I run the port engine it contains the fuel slick. After 10 minutes or so it evaporates off- confirming my assessment that it is fuel and not oil.
  • No fuel in cooling water coming from pee stream (collected it)
  • Yamaha Diagnostic Software detects NO problems- no bad sensors, no codes, injectors are all firing etc.
  • I dropped one cylinder at a time by disconnecting the coil and all cylinders responded exactly the same- indicating no problem with spark.
  • I swapped all injectors from Starboard engine and problem did not go away- not and injector problem
  • No fuel in oil
  • I pressure tested and swapped the vapor canister and check valve- did not fix the problem - not the vapor canister
  • I tried to do a compression test on Friday but my 14mm tester wouldn't thread in so I am going to try that today, but given the scenario I am not expecting the compression to be off.
I am stumped. Considering swapping the VST between motors to see if that fixes it. Any thoughts on this would be hugely appreciated! I know the iBoats forum will pull through!

Attachments

• tempImage1uaFcL.png
    tempImage1uaFcL.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 3

RvParagon

Cadet
Just wanted to circle back and share the conclusion to this problem. This was a very challenging problem to diagnose but I finally found that oil was leaking into the cooling water on the starboard side of the motor in the vicinity of the cylinder head. I used UV tracer dye to stain the oil and first found it in the cooling passage on the starboard side behind the anodes and thermostat. Removing the cylinder head, I found a pocket of emulsified oil . The repair was possibly just a repair to the cylinder head or replacement, but we couldn't chance further delays and replaced the powerhead itself to get us back in the water and working again. Hope this is helpful to a future victim of this problem!!