2012 Bayliner 185 BR

2012 Bayliner 185 BR

• Bayliner 185 BR

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Chaparral 19 Sport H20

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Re: 2012 Bayliner 185 BR

If your user name was 'LovesCandles39', and you were "Oh, I am afraid of more power and more boat", then we'd be talking you down, big guy.

I have Kawasaki Ninja, not scared of power in any way haha.

The 18/19 foot bowriders from chaparral are right around the same price, what would the differences between the 2 brands be?

Philster

Captain

Chappy is going to win that vote just about every time. It's a step up in overall quality. Resale value for the win as well.

Bayliner is a 'price point' boat (a.k.a. entry level)

Chappy is a middle grade boat, sometimes held in even higher regard.

The 19 foot chappy is 500 pounds lighter, but 220 HP is the max you could go, so because of the lighter weight, the 220 on the chappy would go faster then the 220 on the bayliner i assume?

cyclops2

Banned

Had to go eat.

Last thing about a carburated engine. Very reliable. NOTHING has been touched or adjusted since brand new. Also the 2 barrell carb can be checked out, pulled, rebuilt & running in about 2 hours by any average mechanic. :) Dirt cheap compared to a F I rebuild from bad fuel.
If it works. LEAVE IT ALONE. I do.
Carburators have massive fuel jet holes compared to Fuel Injectors. So they do not crap up at crappy fuel or have erratic idles.

You want acceleration ? buy the CUBIC inches. Carb or F I. boats no not have low friction wheels. CUBIC inches.

Definately... test run... the bigger cubic engined boats. That is the only way to convince yourself. :)

Send me a thank you PM. :)

Rich

cyclops2

Banned

Football Guy.

I am 74.

I LOVE emptying all that OLD winter gas out of the tank the first spring morning........WAAAAHOOOO :)

Rich

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If I was buying a new boat, it would sure as heck be fuel injected. That's just me though.

If I was buying a new boat, it would sure as heck be fuel injected. That's just me though.

Yeah, fuel injection for sure. I was never even debating carburated over FI.

Are there any other brands in around the same price range as Bayliner/Chapparal?

Philster

Captain

Yes to parasailing.

Also, Stingray is a boat recommendation along the lines you asked about. Glastron would be one, too.

Some might say Sea Ray, but their entry-level boats don't do it for me.

I would suggest Checkmate, if you want an outboard (speed on the water akin to your need-for-speed bike). I mean, if 20' and 80-90+ MPH do it for you....

They're building mine now... it'll be bigger and slower (68-70), but their 20-21' lineup are screamers. They have fast, price-point boats.

What is your price range? 60-70-80-90 MPH checkmate_power_boat_Pulsare_2000_BRX_bow_interior.jpg

checkmate_power_boat_Pulsare_2000_BRX_side_view.jpg
checkmate_power_boat_Pulsare_2000_BRX_2012_image.jpg
checkmate_power_boat_Pulsare_2000_BRX_2012_image_2.jpg

cyclops2

Banned

As a maintanance note bout the ACTUAL boat parts in general.

I have had no problems with fits, loose screws, fading of colors of Sunbrella covers, rips, stretches, loose snaps of the floor carpets. Windshield is still perfect. It is a 1 piece curve. No stains of SS metals.
The seat materials are all white except for the Black accent piece in the middle of the HUGE 1 piece lift up engine cover. I ALWAYS remove those spider crap stains with undiluted Bleach. Rinse WELL with water. No fading or breaking stitches . All 6 big fenders fit into the floor locker.
The boat is the 8' legal limit width.
My son in law Loves to go out with me. He runs it as hard as I do. Fun having V8 power.

I would say add a foot to any 18 - 19' boat... IF..IF.. It means getting a 305 CI or the 350CI engine...

Caution!! Make sure the big engine DOES NOT make the boat stern heavy..........NOT a thing you want. You will not see in front of the boat at off plane speeds.

Drive the EXACT powered boats you COULD be interested in.......Time that MUST BE SPENT !!

Forgot. I let my wife pick the colors of the boat & the model..SSI loaded........I ordered the engine.

Crap I almost forgot the most IMPORTANT THING !! Try to get the V8 with the DUO PROP setup !!! Absolutely the best thing when docking in a wind from any direction / current. Big V8 DOES cause the stern to swing very quickly when shifted into Fow or Rev. The DUO PROP drive ONLY pushes mostly straight ahead when shifting into F & R during docking.

Rich

halfmoa

Ensign

Here's what I suggest: Forget the 0-30 times.

There is no way -- no way I tell ya -- that a guy who is concerned with these numbers will not kick himself for getting the weanie engine. Get the 4.3 MPI engine; it has a ton of fans. No one ever regrets getting the bigger engine (maybe some rare person), but the streets are lined with guys wishing they had more. You sound like one of them.

You will be able to pull people and carry a few on board without feeling like you are dogging the engine. It's night and day as far as I am concerned. And while carbed engines do start fine, they do frustrate some, whereas MPI is going to snap to life a lot easier.

This.

bear_69cuda

Commander

220 MPI for sure! If you can swing the coin, do it!

I had a 19' Bayliner with 3.0, and it was a great boat! But I always wanted more performance...

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions/info guys!

I'm going go to go take a lake at SeaRay, Stingray, Glastron and Checkmate now.

Oh, and i'd like my max to be around $40,000 if that helps at all.

Oh, and one other thing.

Does anyone know if Doral still makes the Sunquest line?

bear_69cuda

Commander

I'm really liking the Glastrons, but a question that came up with them... Mercruiser or Volvo? is there much difference?

cyclops2

Banned

Volvo cars are belly up ??? by G M wanting to dump it again. Still

Mercruiser ONLY.Pick ANY make that allows the DUAL PROP stern drive as a V8 option.
Drive a NON- dual prop V8. Then drive a dual prop V8. Ask if you can do a going into a snug space with EACH type of boat on a breezy day. I am VERY serious.
Any GOOD & EXPERIENCED salesman will GLADLY let you. He knows which type you are going to pick as soon as you ask him.
Do you want / need to tow this boat around or can you afford to have it in the water all season?

Philster

Captain

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions/info guys!

I'm going go to go take a lake at SeaRay, Stingray, Glastron and Checkmate now.

Oh, and i'd like my max to be around $40,000 if that helps at all.

Then you can look at boats with MSRP's as high as 50,000+!!! Why? Because boat MSRP's are almost worthless now. Getting 10k off a 50k dollars MSRP is not unheard of.

Side note, not that you are going this high: if you finance over 50g's, the actual cost of ownership might be cheaper than boat that is under 50g's, because that's how boat financing works. The rates and terms are much better at 50g's. Let's say you creep your max into the 40's; you could actually come out better if you buy a boat over 50g's. It's a weird marine finance thing. Boats costing more then 50g's don't default at the rate the cheaper boats do; owners tend to keep them and care for them, and finance companies like this, which means great interest rates, terms, etc.

cyclops2

Banned

Most boats today are VERY safe if you do a accidential NO NO like I did.
First time I am running the Chap at WOT & revlimiter is working in about 12" chop. I look down to carfully check the temperature. Suddenly I am pushed out of the Bolster seat, The rpms are surging, my teeth are 3" from the top bar of the windshield. Couple more seconds & the boat softly reenters the water. I cut the throttle. Regroup my thoughts & circle back to the jump area. YEP There is a LONG undisturbed stretch of my path in the water.

I consider that a dam lucky leap, since I did not hit anything. So I believe a couple of far off big cruiser waves did a Sunami wave to me.
We have freighters & big boats all the time.

Philster

Captain

Volvo cars are belly up ??? by G M wanting to dump it again. Still

Mercruiser ONLY.Pick ANY make that allows the DUAL PROP stern drive as a V8 option.
Drive a NON- V8 dual prop. Then drive a dual prop V8. Ask if you can do a going into a snug space with EACH type of boat on a breezy day. I am VERY serious.
Any GOOD & EXPERIENCED salesman will GLADLY let you. He knows which type you are going to pick as soon as you ask him.
Do you want / need to tow this boat around or can you afford to have it in the water all season?

There is no must/need for duoprop on smallish/quick boats.