2012 Axis

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Why would a hole get blown in an exhaust manifold with no kind of warning? Motor never got hot but it was like the manifold wasn't getting enough water maybe?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
On a 2012....rust/fatigue/freeze damage

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boat was out 2 weekend ago and ran just fine with no problems. So I wouldn't think it would be a freeze problem. I wondered if it might have sucked something up or one of the connecting hoses collapsed.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The boat was out 2 weekend ago and ran just fine with no problems. So I wouldn't think it would be a freeze problem. I wondered if it might have sucked something up or one of the connecting hoses collapsed.
Everything rubber/plastic/paint attched to the manifold would be completely melted if it got hot enough to damage the casting... Most likely freeze damage you didnt preiously notice or manufacturing defect. Do you have water in the oil ?

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It did melt the paint. This hole just occurred this last weekend. The owner seen it bust shortly after he shut down the engine for smelling something getting hot. No water in oil.

Attachments

• Resized_20210704_090003.jpeg
    Resized_20210704_090003.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is what happens when you run out of cooling water and your exhaust goes from 200F to 1500F, then a little drop of water hits the casting and rapidly cools it.

so lets go back to the first post.

Why would a hole get blown in an exhaust manifold with no kind of warning? Motor never got hot but it was like the manifold wasn't getting enough water maybe?
motor had to be hot

start at the cooling system, do a compression test, and replace the manifold and all the burnt rubber bits.

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
that is what happens when you run out of cooling water and your exhaust goes from 200F to 1500F, then a little drop of water hits the casting and rapidly cools it.

so lets go back to the first post.

motor had to be hot

start at the cooling system, do a compression test, and replace the manifold and all the burnt rubber bits.
That's the crazy thing. Motor never got hot nor did the other manifold. I will start with the lines that feed this manifold and go from there.

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK so we took the bad manifold off we found melted aluminum inside this side the silent rider exhaust. We cleaned everything up installed the new is the new manifold started the engine engine and the new manifold we put on was still getting hotter than the portside. I installed the replumbing kit they call for for the 5.7 indmar engines as well hoping this would take care of the problem. We even rerouted the water inlet from Port manifold to starboard and vice versa thinking maybe it was a water shortage but only to still get the same result. Starboard manifold still got hot. We took the manifold off of the silent rider muffler thinking maybe it couldn't get rid of the exhaust but still no change. Any ideas? Would o2 sensors or something cause higher exhaust Temps on one side of the engine?

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes it is a 2012 Axis A22. 5.7 Indmar Monsoon. Yes that is the replumb kit I used and hooked up same way. I just can't figure out why on the port side runs so much cooler.

alldodge

Staff member
All motors exhaust runs a bit hotter, but in the water you should always be able to keep your hand on it for a while. It higher rpms they even out.

Your saying its hot enough to burn skin?

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I installed the replumb kit last night and the thermostat is even out of it (I know ppl don't like that) so there should no restriction.

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All motors exhaust runs a bit hotter, but in the water you should always be able to keep your hand on it for a while. It higher rpms they even out.

Your saying its hot enough to burn skin?
I didn't have any kind of gauge on the manifold but you wouldn't want to keep your hand on it longer than a few seconds. I would say it would burn skin.

alldodge

Staff member
Being able to keep your hand on it a few seconds then your most likely ok. Just a few degrees changes things from ok to burn. Get a IR temp gun and watch the temp.

Problem with removing the thermostat is the block can get air pockets which can cause real problems. With the thermostat installed, most the water goes out the exhaust except when it gets hot enough for it to open. It doesn't stay open, it open/closes as temp rises

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok and I can try reinstalling thermostat and see what that does.

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also the port side you can keep your hand on it all day. That's also what's so confusing. You would think they would stay relatively the same temp. And we didn't let it run very long after we felt the noticeably different range in Temps.

alldodge

Staff member
Water flows the path of least resistance, so port side is a bit cooler. You can hold your hand under 120* water all day, but 125* hurts some

Jamz33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Water flows the path of least resistance, so port side is a bit cooler. You can hold your hand under 120* water all day, but 125* hurts some
I'm not sure why you say the port side has least resistance?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not sure why you say the port side has least resistance?
Me neither and have not accomplished flow dynamics to prove, just all are that way. Water comes in and the circulating pump is rotating CW from the front of the motor, so my pea brain believes this helps it move to the port side