2009 minn kota never opened, is it still good?

Philmocali

Recruit
So I came across a 2009 minn kota edura 55lb thrust trolling motor. It's never been opened and has remained in the box until now. Is there any way it would still work Or any reason it wouldn't? I'm working on getting my first boat into the water and was hoping this would be a good trolling motor. Keep in mind my boat is a 2019 pond prowler. Just a little ten footer plastic boat. Hoping to bebop around some lakes and ponds out here in Pennsylvania. Thank you in advance.

fishrdan

Admiral
Should be good to go!

Only thing that may be suspect is the lower unit seal, not sure I would trust a 10 year old seal to a brand new trolling motor, since rubber ages and dries out. $15+- for a lower re-seal kit would fix that. Pretty easy to change the seals if you're mechanically inclined.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would have no issues installing it and happy boating. Since it hasn't turned even one revolution, I see no problems. The seals are a lot better then you would think. Go for it. Nice find and I'm betting the price is right too.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Minn Kota is 15 years old and the only thing I have ever done was replace the switch once. I guess I never thought about the seals in it. If you are getting it for a "great condition used price" I wouldn't be too concerned.