2009 mercury 4 stroke bogging sometimes

georgia088

Cadet
I’ve had a mercury elpt 90 4 stroke for about 6 months. About 3 months after getting it, I was running WOT to get out of a storm. All of a sudden it bogged way down like it was going to go dead or running out of fuel. Then it surged back up and back down. Over and over. I could turn it off and it would crank back up and idle with no problem.
I thought maybe bad gas. Drained the gas and changed the fuel filters. Fuel filters did not look bad at all, but I changed anyway. This seemed to fix the issue.
Yesterday. It started doing it again…. It will run fine for a few minutes at any rpm and then start bogging like it is going dead and surging. I can quickly turn the ignition off and crank back up (boat still moving from momentum) and take off and it will run fine again for 30 seconds/ Minute…

any ideas? Bad coil? Overheating?

I’m at a loss!
Thanks!

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How old is the fuel pump?
You can crack it open and see the condition of the diaphragm.

papspontoon

Cadet
This is a four stroke. Does it have a fuel pump that has a diaphragm? I thought they had electric fuel pumps.
Thanks!
My four stroke has two fuel pumps. A mechanical lower pressure that fills the VST where the high pressure electric pump is located