2008 BF15D starter conversion

DPallidap

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2008 Honda BF15D that has manual start. Because I have an extremely bad shoulder due to an old injury I would like to convert it to electric start. I have the wiring needed c and have found a good used starter, However I checked and the flywheel does not have teeth on it for a starter. I was wondering if a earlier model flywheel (if I could find one!) would fit and work on this motor? It has the same part number for the starter for several year models prior to 2008 but that does not mean the early model flywheel would work, suggestions??

ahicks

Captain
I can darn sure identify with hand starting any 4 stroke....

NOT that familiar with these smaller Hondas, so I'm left wondering if you have ALL of the wiring that comes on the electric start - like the charging system w/rectifier?

The reason I ask is that looks to be one of the major differences between an electric start flywheel and the manual start.

I'm thinking the only way you're going to know for sure is to try one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There really is no need for the rectifier / charging system.------Just need starter / solenoid / start button / ring gear.--------A good battery would last a season of cranking for normal use starting.

DPallidap

Cadet
It appears that it would require changing the flywheel to have a gear for the starter. The solenoid mounts on the starter flange. I know that there is no need for the wiring ( as long as one is careful to make sure the motor is out of gear) nor the charging system. It would be just fine using A/M wire of a good enough gauge and a start switch. The real issue is the cost of the flywheel ($200 + shipping and tax) Been unable to find used flywheel but the starter is available used for $150. I guess with the off season coming on for me here I will just keep looking until next spring.

ahicks

Captain
There really is no need for the rectifier / charging system.------Just need starter / solenoid / start button / ring gear.--------A good battery would last a season of cranking for normal use starting.
Agree on all points. My concern more about the location/arrangement of everything under the flywheel with/without e-start. Whether or not they are the same on both?

Flywheel shown here as #3 is "only" $150.
https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...rta-vin-baaj-1600001-to-baaj-1699999/flywheel

Alumarine

Captain
Does your motor not have any charging ability at all?
Even my 81 and 84 BF75's have 60 watt output.
Not much but better than nothing and might keep a starting battery topped up.