redneck joe
Supreme Mariner
- Joined
- Mar 18, 2009
- Messages
- 16,332
100%. . . As a seller, I would have taken it in a heartbeat..
100%. . . As a seller, I would have taken it in a heartbeat..
Yes that’s me!Thank you Lou. The boat purchase did not work out. Your advice is excellent. An aside, I remember a LouC from the old IFourwinns board, always good advice. Was that you?
What boat do you have now? I have my 278 vista which was perfect up until the last couple years. Mechanically and aesthetically my 278 vista is sound, better condition than any of the mid 2000 boats we've looked atYes that’s me!
I still have the same boat all this time! Recent repairs that I had to do in the last 5 seasons:What boat do you have now? I have my 278 vista which was perfect up until the last couple years. Mechanically and aesthetically my 278 vista is sound, better condition than any of the mid 2000 boats we've looked at![]()
Compromise is part of the deal, I get that. I had accepted several scratches and nasty spider cracks. I obligated myself to repair several thousand dollars of items. I wrote a purchase agreement obligating the seller to repair everything related to mechanical and safety. They signed the agreement and took my down payment money. If they hadn't signed the agreement, it would have ended there. But they signed a legal agreement and I ordered surveys. This boat was selling for the above average price, according to JD Powers and BUC. Had I accepted the financial burden of all necessary repairs, I would have been 17 to 20 percent over for a boat in average condition. It was a slow speed train wreck which played out on a public forum.The problem is, and will be, that boats 15-20 years old will need a lot of work. The owner/seller may not be aware of all the things that could use attention. A surveyor will certainly point all sorts of things out . . . that is their job. So the amount of work needed could be a shock to both buyer and seller.
As a buyer, you have to figure out how to make things work . . . else you will become a perpetual buyer and not an owner. I got to believe that a deal on the Four Winns could be had.
I reached an impasse with the seller when I was buying my Formula 330. The survey showed a few things that needed to be fixed as safety issues, and a few other things that would be needed fairly soon. In presenting the issues to the seller, he took a hard stand . . . 'take it or leave it', the boat is being sold 'as is'. My response was that I understood and was willing to meet him half way. . . . with a little back & forth, we had a deal.