2007 honda bf50, no tach or alarm

goofyexponent

Recruit
I'm chasing a weird electrical problem on my boat, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The motor is a 2007 honda bf50 with forward controls, it runs great but I'm not getting the test chirp from the control box when the key is turned on, and the hour meter/tach is not working. Its been this way since I bought the boat. I'm getting 12 volts to the tach in the key on position, and I've checked all the bullet connectors from the controls to the dash and back to the motor, I only found 2 fuses on the motor side and both are good, not seeing any unplugged connectors anywhere. I can live without a tach but don't like not having the low oil pressure or high temp warnings. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance!

ahicks

Captain
Sorry, I missed your post so I'm a little late to this game.

Regarding that "chirp", unless this is a fuel injected engine, there is no chirp. These 50's changed from carbs to injection about that time so it could be either one (BF50A or BF50D).

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got the older (1999) carbureted 50, and confirm there is no chirp. The only time it makes any noise when things are normal is when you trim the motor up too high while the key is on, then the buzzer will buzz continuously. If yours is carbureted, maybe use that to test your buzzer (turn the key on and trim it up). With the console mount controls (not the side mount) there should be a green LED that comes on when oil pressure is good, I'm not sure about the side mount. I would personally fix the tach, on a boat it's important. Depending on how you're propped, if the boat is lightly loaded and trimmed up a bit, it might zip right past redline. Just for a data point; the way I'm propped, with a fully loaded boat I max out about 5700-5800 rpm, but with a light load and a little trim it will zip right past the 6k redline.

ahicks

Captain
Yup, green light should be on when the engine is running with the side control as well.