2006 Yamaha SX230 Hard Initial Starts

I have a 2006 Yamaha SX230 that starts hard on its 1st start. They seem to be getting worse as in now I have to put the throttle forward to give it some gas. Once it starts however, it’ll start up on the first crank.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the issue/fix?

Thanks in advance!

My bad. I didn't realize I posted on a motor page. Yes, it's a boat. Like I said, the first start of the day always takes some time but then the rest are just fine. I'm guessing the fuel is going back into the tank and not staying in the hose but does that mean the hoses are bad? I don't know, which is why I posted on here. If I made this post on the wrong part of this forum, please direct me to the proper spot.

Thanks! : )

I have a 2006 Yamaha SX230 that starts hard on its 1st start. They seem to be getting worse as in now I have to put the throttle forward to give it some gas. Once it starts however, it’ll start up on the first crank.
Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the issue/fix?
Thanks in advance!

I posted this in the engine forum only to get told it's just engine and not a boat. Sooooo hopefully this is the right place.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... Carbed or Efi,..??

Have you checked the contents of the fuel filter, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,..??

It's EFI. I haven't checked the fuel filter due to the fact that just getting it started is the issue. After that, it starts on the first turn of the key. If it were filter related, I figure I would have that issue constantly.

Could it be a gas line issue where the gas keeps draining back into the tank and not staying in the lines?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of EFI motors run the fuel pump when the key is first switched on, to pressurize the fuel system. You can hear it run. So with the motor cold, turn the key on, wait a few seconds and then crank the motor to start. If that fixes it, you know what the issue is.

Might be a few days before we get back out on the boat but the next time I will try that and see if it works.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Could be a result of someone not turning the water hose off…before stopping engine, if it’s ran on the trailer previously to launching.