2006 Volvo 5.7 osi-d crank no start

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
thanks for reply, valves didnt appear stuck once rocker off, I'm trying to get the head off now, took a while to get the intake off as I'm doing it in the boat, with about 8 in of clearance above flame arrestor, makes a challenge :) usually run at 3200 for about an hour to fishing spot, so not generally "laboured". runs fine until under load and a slight ping/misfire at about 2800 so didn't go far with that occurring.

These valves, did you push them down and release them a few times? Have you rechecked your comprehension?

If the valves are closing and your still running 50 psi, you may as well pull the motor. That is a big hole in the chamber, huge hole. But hey maybe a gasket leak can be that bad. Now that would be incredible.

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
These valves, did you push them down and release them a few times? Have you rechecked your comprehension?

If the valves are closing and your still running 50 psi, you may as well pull the motor. That is a big hole in the chamber, huge hole. But hey maybe a gasket leak can be that bad. Now that would be incredible.
would it run in neutral, smooth as, to 4000 rpm with a massive hole ? only under load it makes a bit of noise

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When you get the heads off you’ll know! Stick a breaker bar or long ratchet in one of the intake ports and pull back on it, should come right off. Mine came off much easier than the intake manifold.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
would it run in neutral, smooth as, to 4000 rpm with a massive hole ? only under load it makes a bit of noise

The answer would be yes, running smoothly in neutral under "no load" that is. Under a load no, as you have identified. Under a load cylinder pressure goes up..that piston does not travel so freely.

It's very similar to ignition timing, adding to much advance and the engine is in neutral not much happens. Put in gear and step on it...its chitty chitty bang bang time. cylinder pressure goes up and its detonation..
Which is not your issue...but then again you did put in a new distributor.

Aside from that your well along the way towards opening her up and finding the issue. I wish you the best and a simple solution.

Last edited:

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The answer would be yes, running smoothly in neutral under "no load" that is. Under a load no, as you have identified. Under a load cylinder pressure goes up..that piston does not travel so freely.

It's very similar to ignition timing, adding to much advance and the engine is in neutral not much happens. Put in gear and step on it...its chitty chitty bang bang time. cylinder pressure goes up and its detonation..
Which is not your issue...but then again you did put in a new distributor.

Aside from that your well along the way towards opening her up and finding the issue. I wish you the best and a simple solution.
Thank you

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you
dammed if I can get the head off, have all head bolts out, that wasnt easy with the motor in place, took bolts out of alternator bracket, still wont budge, is there a bolt behind the head somewhere I am missing ? very hard to see behind there.
thanks for your continued support !!

alldodge

Staff member
Nothing behind to hold the head
There are 17 head bolts on each

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep double check your head bolts. Any brackets on the rear of the cyl heads? Maybe post up some pix. As much as it was difficult to get the intake off on mine once the head bolts were out (that took a 1/2” electric impact gun) the cyl heads came right off. I just slid a long breaker bar in a center intake port and pried up!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yep double check your head bolts. Any brackets on the rear of the cyl heads? Maybe post up some pix. As much as it was difficult to get the intake off on mine once the head bolts were out (that took a 1/2” electric impact gun) the cyl heads came right off. I just slid a long breaker bar in a center intake port and pried up!
X2 double check all bolts are out put pry bar in intake or cooling port and leverage it up

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
as we used to say in Brooklyn, bada-bing!

Attachments

• 4.3 starboard cyl head removal.JPG
    4.3 starboard cyl head removal.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 10

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
as we used to say in Brooklyn, bada-bing!
Hi all, sorry for dealys here, lots going on outside of my boat. So, heads off, gasket between 3 and 5 blown (will upload pic ) all cleaned up ready to re-assemble but cannot find torque settings anywhere, its hard to find Volvo info in NZ. Can anyone tell me setting for head bolts, intake bolts and exhaust bolts please ? I can only find riser bolts settings here as I bought OEM riser gaskets last week and they were in the pack. I'm using Felpro head and intake gaskets. Thanks !

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That definitely looks overheat related are you re-using the same heads if so did you get them checked for cracks at a machine shop? Both of mine were cracked and the cooling passages were getting eroded from raw water cooling so I replaced them with reman heads.

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That definitely looks overheat related are you re-using the same heads if so did you get them checked for cracks at a machine shop? Both of mine were cracked and the cooling passages were getting eroded from raw water cooling so I replaced them with reman heads.
never overheated Lou, always within range, think it weas when the distributor cap failed and misfire occured, thanks though.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That or severe detonation, lean fuel mix, over propped. I think that’s more than a distributor cap issue. Look further to prevent a recurrence

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest
Put a steel straight edge on the heads and use feeler gauges to see if flatness is within spec

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Looking at the marking on the lower unit pictured there…to the left of the picture…doesn’t look right. See the clean section ? As well as or a result of…there has been deflection in the head to gasket seal for sure.