2005 5.0 GXI Volvo penta crank but will not start

Wessold

Cadet
Got the boat on a trade. Bc guy pulled it out of storage and it would stay. He replaced a lot on boat but no luck. I've also done some work still it will crank but no start.

What all has been done
1. Fuel pump assu has been replaced
2. Injectors have been tested and cleaned.
3. Cam position sensor replaced
4. Crank position sensor replaced
5. Distributor housing, rotor and cap replaced
6. Coil replaced
7. Spark pug wires replaced
8. Spark plugs replaced

I have Spark at plugs and can smell gas on plugs. But they do not look like they fired.

If there is nothing more to try I'm going to go to a shop Monday and see if someone can put a scan tool on it to see what is wrong.

Any thoughts?

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check the pressure regulator. When I first got my current boat (same engine) it had also been sitting for many years. Regulator was so clogged with those paint chips that it threw the fuel pressure through the roof - essentially insta-flooded the engine and crank crank crank no start.

Also have you actually checked for spark? Just pull a plug and ground to the head (a clean spot with no paint) and crank. You should see spark

alldodge

Staff member
Got the boat on a trade. Bc guy pulled it out of storage and it would stay. He replaced a lot on boat but no luck. I've also done some work still it will crank but no start.

What all has been done
1. Fuel pump assu has been replaced
2. Injectors have been tested and cleaned.
3. Cam position sensor replaced
4. Crank position sensor replaced
5. Distributor housing, rotor and cap replaced
6. Coil replaced
7. Spark pug wires replaced
8. Spark plugs replaced

I have Spark at plugs and can smell gas on plugs. But they do not look like they fired.

If there is nothing more to try I'm going to go to a shop Monday and see if someone can put a scan tool on it to see what is wrong.

Any thoughts?
You thru a bunch of parts at it but have you done any testing?

What is your fuel pressure?

It's a 5.0 GXI what?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you checked the kill switch ? Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on ?

Wessold

Cadet
Have you checked the kill switch ? Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on ?
I've read a bunch of post saying the same thing. But when u pull my kill switch at the helm. It kills all power to the motor. She will not even crank. Is there another kill switch? One that just kills the fuel pump?

Wessold

Cadet
You thru a bunch of parts at it but have you done any testing?

What is your fuel pressure?

It's a 5.0 GXI what?
GXI-E. And a fuel pressure Guage is the only tool I don't have. The guy I got the boat from put the major parts on it. I re placed the wire and sensor. And I also b cleaned the injectors. I don't have a scan tool so that's why I'm dealing sensors.

Wessold

Cadet
Check the pressure regulator. When I first got my current boat (same engine) it had also been sitting for many years. Regulator was so clogged with those paint chips that it threw the fuel pressure through the roof - essentially insta-flooded the engine and crank crank crank no start.

Also have you actually checked for spark? Just pull a plug and ground to the head (a clean spot with no paint) and crank. You should see spark
Yes I've checked for spark. Also where on the motor is the pressure regulator? Wouldn't that be on the fuel pump?

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As you have a GXi-E you can make a test LED to read the codes. The 10 wire data link connector does not have a MIL wire in it but one does still go to the round engine connector, I am assuming you boat does not have a MIL lamp (check engine lamp) at the helm/dash. I have attached the sketch I made whenI traced out my DLC, I never have found a published one! You need a 12V led (led + resistor low current suitable for microchips or ECU could be damaged) and connect the positive lead to the "live when ignition on" purple wire in the data link connector (I spliced the wires) and the negative lead to the green/yellow wire from the ECU J1 connector pin 27 to the round engine connector. I made the wires short as possible and taped the LED to the wires going into the data link connector. Now when you turn on the ignition (KOEO) the led should light during the ECU self test and the go out, if it remains on there is a stored code. To read the codes jumper the A (black wire) & B (black & white wire) terminals in the data lik connector, the led will flash the stored codes. For more info search the web for MEFI-4 tech article by BillaAvista.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11

alldodge

Staff member

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As alldodge says a meter can be used but terminal E on the data connector goes to ECM J2 pin 25 not J1 pin 27. I could not find a descriptor for J2 pin 25 anywhere! I am not saying it couldn't work, but I wouldn't risk it when I know splicing into the wire from J1 pin 27 does work.

alldodge

Staff member
As alldodge says a meter can be used but terminal E on the data connector goes to ECM J2 pin 25 not J1 pin 27. I could not find a descriptor for J2 pin 25 anywhere! I am not saying it couldn't work, but I wouldn't risk it when I know splicing into the wire from J1 pin 27 does work.
Your pinout is not correct for the GXI or GI

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
aldodge, this pinout is ONLY good for the GXi-E. More info is discussed in my old thread on THT "10 wire data link connector".

alldodge

Staff member
ripjmk doesn't matter what was said previous, or what is hand written in the pic above, it's not correct. For MEFI-3 connector J1-27 is where the MIL is connected. All VP and Merc manuals show the same pin out. The MEFI 3 is a MEFI 3 is a MEFI 3. Even MEFI 4 and 4B show J1-27 as the MIL. My wiring diagrams show the same

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is what I stated "J1 pin 27 is the MIL " Only on the GXi-E it does not go to the Data link Connector, only to the engine round connector pin 9.

alldodge

Staff member
And again no, it goes to both places on VP. On a Merc it only goes the 27

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before you accuse me of being incorrect or a "first liar" see if you can produce a wiring diagram that states it is applicable to a 5.0 GXi-E that disproves what I have stated. To my knowledge Volvo never published one. My diagram is from first hand tracing of my 5.0 GXi-E and resultant use of the MIL to read codes. This engine was the last MEFI-4 before they switched to the next gen ECU and the only one to have all ten pins in the data connector wired up.

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
GXI-E. And a fuel pressure Guage is the only tool I don't have. The guy I got the boat from put the major parts on it. I re placed the wire and sensor. And I also b cleaned the injectors. I don't have a scan tool so that's why I'm dealing sensors.
Can you confirm that the data link connector on your engine has all ten pins populated with wires?

alldodge

Staff member
Looked thru the 3 and 4 manuals and provide the following. The A series it's unsure what pin is used on the J connector because their not numbered and also its opposite orientation

First pic is the A series
Second pic is higher and all show Pin 9 of 10 pin and J1-27
Third pic is 4 and 4B from PCM engine group and shows same as second pic connections

Do not have E but seeing that all other 3's and 4's are the same, and all made by Delphi/GM, all Merc's as before do not use the Pin 9 connection but have same J1-27. While the 9th pin may not be populated with a MIL light, it doesn't change the fact it could be.

I would suggest it might be your turn to show connections

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPGSlide3.JPG