fuel pump whining. opened up cleaned all the black paint out. re installed checked pressure at injector rail. 55-60 key on engine off. start up 85 psi at idle. after running a while high pressure pump starts to whine. can anyone help. thank you
I've had the same problem happen with my Volvo 5.7 GXi-C. I ended up replacing the entire fuel pump assembly and solved the problem. Yesterday, I took the old fuel pump assembly apart and discovered the return cannister had some material that more than likely caused the high pressure pump to whine by blocking the inlet screen. The return fuel that is directed back to the cannister from the fuel rail gets redistributed through the low and then high fuel pressure pumps, so the only way to get rid of the problem is remove the old fuel pump assembly. I am going to try to salvage my old pump and clean it thoroughly to use as a spare. In addition, I've used Gumout Total Fuel system cleaner and added fresh 89 octane and let the engine idle for 10 minutes and it sounded and ran great at idle. With certainty, the ethanol gas is the root cause and the only way to get around this problem is to A) Completely drain your fuel tank when not in use, and B) Run the boat regularly with fuel additives.
Your not alone when it comes to this problem. I hope Volvo Penta will listen to these complaints because alot of us are having expensive boating seasons that don't need to be this way.
Good Luck!
fuel pump whining. opened up cleaned all the black paint out. re installed checked pressure at injector rail. 55-60 key on engine off. start up 85 psi at idle. after running a while high pressure pump starts to whine. can anyone help. thank you
At the fuel rail? 50-60What is the factory spec for fuel rail pressure on a 5.0gxi? I checked mine today and got 50 psi while idling.