2005 5.0 GXI and 97 Silverado 5.0 Timing Sets Different

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So since I have so much of this "new" motor torn down from the ole silverado. I decided to just go ahead and swap cams since its about 20 min of work (so far). Anyhow there seems to be a difference in the timing gears and chain between the two motors. The one currently set up on the engine is the one that came from the 97 Silverado and the one in my hand is off my 05 GXI. Would I be better off getting a puller and taking the crank gears off and swapping them? Not sure if perhaps GM improved the timing chain between 97 and 05ish. The boat only had 430 hrs on it and the Silverado motor had 107k miles on it (or so im told). I'm sure its safe to assume the GXI timing chain/gears have a bit less wear on them?

Thanks

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure if it's an improvement but does add extra teeth

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The cam gear actually had the same amount of teeth. Didnt check the crank gear though. Seems to just be a different diameter though. Likely the due to the different style overall. I'll probably just run it with the older setup for now. It would suck but if I had to swap it in the boat for some reason I should be able to do it without pulling the motor. I dont think these are interference motors are they?