2003 Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-C No start

Daleg70

Seaman
We have been working on a problem that was intermittent, but now is permanent.
We have a crank but no start. We feel we have fuel and we have a signal at the injectors. (by noid) We do not think we have spark at the plugs.

We have checked the Crankshaft Position Sensor visually but not checked electrically.
It is uncertain if we have a good tach signal or not.

We have used a RINDA tool to diagnose codes and had a code 41.
(that is supposed to be -- Electronic Spark Timing Open circuit)

Before we send it off to a shop we might pursue a few more things.
Where to now???????

(this is a 2003 VP 5.7Gi-C is a multipoint fuel injection, distributor type engine - ie -- Not coil on plug)

thanks in advance -- Dale

alldodge

Staff member
Run through the test procedure

Attachments

• DTC code 41.pdf
    330.3 KB · Views: 15

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi dale. Despite the engine seeming to crank quite healthy to suggest the battery is not the issue, all I can do is urge you to make sure the battery is absolutely tip top. I know it almost seems insulting and child’s play...but extremely common on these particular fuel injected gm engines. The starter cranking takes all the load away from the ignition system enough for it not to fire when cranking, with anything less than an excellent battery. Had me totally stumped years ago for a while. But it was that simple. Defo worth a try. Honestly. They just won’t even bother to start like this, even though the speed it cranks at makes you completely rule out the battery in your head.

Daleg70

Seaman
Hi dale. Despite the engine seeming to crank quite healthy to suggest the battery is not the issue, all I can do is urge you to make sure the battery is absolutely tip top. I know it almost seems insulting and child’s play...but extremely common on these particular fuel injected gm engines. The starter cranking takes all the load away from the ignition system enough for it not to fire when cranking, with anything less than an excellent battery. Had me totally stumped years ago for a while. But it was that simple. Defo worth a try. Honestly. They just won’t even bother to start like this, even though the speed it cranks at makes you completely rule out the battery in your head.
We have recently worked on this a bit more.
One thing commented on on some forums is seeing the tach move when cranking -(like to 300 PRM) - We see no movement upward --- even perhaps the smallest downward movement. Is this telling us something since i know the engine must see and RPM to fire??????

Daleg70

Seaman
One thing commented on on some forums is seeing the tach move when cranking -(like to 300 PRM) - We see no movement upward --- even perhaps the smallest downward movement. Is this telling us something since i know the engine must see and RPM to fire??????

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Did you try another battery ? Honestly it’s definitely a thing with these engines.