2003 Glastron sx195 4.3 Volvo Penta won't crank

Engine makes loud continuous beeping sound as long as key is on.. I hear a click.. but no crank.. And the connections will start to smoke on ground leads if I attempt to start it longer than a few seconds.. All leads wire brushed and battery greased on both sides..

I see a Purple wire at starter solenoid that leads to starter relay not connected at starter and I don't see a connector for it's location?

This boat ran without mishaps last season.. No one has been near this purple wire.. Puzzled?

I pulled connector from oil pressure switch and beeping stops on starting attempts.. If I touch the open purple wire to large bolt on starter.. without key on.. it makes same loud continuous beeping sound..

Any expertise would be appreciated..

Attachments

• photo330485.jpg
    photo330485.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • photo330486.jpg
    photo330486.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo330487.jpg
    photo330487.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Who winterized the boat?

image_330485.jpg

Attachments

• image_330485.jpg
    image_330485.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Without more info, I'm having a hard time understanding how the wires where disconnected. The ground is probably heating up because wires are not connected correctly

Do you have anyone which doesn't like ya , maybe ?

Thank you for your response.. I may have not been clear.. The 2 wires with connectors I removed to see behind them.. They were connected for all crank attempts.. The purple lead with open strands is the only wire that I am not sure where to connect? There is only one other wire connected to starter.. it is the same size as this purple wire.. it is red and yellow and connects to a smaller bolt on the starter solenoid.. Space is tight down there.. I see only the large bolt and the smaller bolt that this red/yellow wire is connected to.. there is no 3rd bolt on solenoid.. {maybe an automotive starter?}

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I'm going to need to know what VP motor it is

With ground getting hot then there is corrosion on the wires. Remove the battery cables at starter and block. Clean and get shinny metal.

Don't thin its an auto starter right now.

I read somewhere that marine starters have 3 posts and automotive have only 2?
One of the pictures I attached above has the engine and serial number.. Thanks again..

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure on that because even an auto starter needs at least one lead to energize the solenoid

Carb motors have used a feed from the starter to apply power to an oil pressure switch to feed fuel pump once motor has started. It also needs a lead to energize the solenoid. This type would have 2 small and 2 large terminals

Fuel injected motors don't need the additional feed

Basically a marine starter is the same as an auto starter except it has been shielded so sparks or arcs from solenoids making contact and from motor brushes are kept away from any fumes which may be near. They are ignition protected

What model motor do you have?

fetch
It is the 4.3 volvo penta..